Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage prep for covering

Default Fuselage prep for covering

I’m reviewing the precovering checklist for the fuselage. It includes checking all the rigging angles. My wings are on the rotisserie, HS/elevator ready to cover. Are builders remounting the wings/HS/elevator and doing the final rigging prior to or after covering the fuselage?

Default Re: Fuselage prep for covering

After setting up the proper dihedral, sweep and washout on the wings while uncovered, I removed them and covered. Rigging of the elvator and HS was done while uncovered and then removed and covered. My rudder was rigged while uncovered but after covering, clearances change due to the fabric taking up all the space between the vertical stab and the rudder so adjustments had to be made in the rod end bearings to push the rudder back a bit. I had also cut the rudder stops while uncovered and since the rudder got pushed aft I had to add some AN3 bolts to the rudder side so that I could adjust the stops so that the rudder deflection was limited from hitting the elevator.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Pmcc - You didn't mention if your wing tanks are in or not. I'm pretty sure that they want you to verify the twist in the wing panels, in prep for the final rib and tank install. The twist was fine in mine so I was able to install the root and butt rib while on the fuse and then duplicated the wing twist on saw horses to install the wing tanks. Otherwise I did what efwd discussed. HTH.

I have hung the wings with sweep, twist and dihedral. I’m covering them now. Just planning the fuselage prep!