Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Insurance Question

Default Insurance Question

Well...here goes a question concerning one of less interesting aspects of flying.
    I'm five hours into my tailwheel endorsement. Flying a Citabria. Tailwheels are a whole different ballgame, aren't they?
    I want a Kitfox pretty badly. I've seen a bunch, and they are within my pricerange. The Rotax 912's are the model I'm looking at.
    I can afford the plane. Can I afford the insurance? What are you shelling out for this? I'm sure most of you have a lot more tailwheel time than I do, so mine will be a lot higher. Is there anyone out there with low taildragger time, who bought themselves one of these pretty little airplanes?
    I mean, we aren't talking in the 3000 to 4000 a year range, are we? I hope not.
    I would hate to have the cost of insurance keep me from buying one. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Insurance Question

I had 300 hours in a Cherokee plus 21 hours tail wheel dual. Seven of the tail wheel dual hours were in a Kitfox. My first year insurance two years ago from AIG was:

Liability: $1,000,000 each occurrance with passengers bodily injury $100,000 = $551

Hull insured for $20,000 =$685.

Tom
    Classic 4, 503 Rotax

That sound about right. My model 4 is about $1,200. per year with the million liability and $40,000. hull.

2000 hours total:
    1200 in tail wheel
    800 tri-gear
    1800 of the 2000 in Kitfox's.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Mine is ~$700 per year for liability only (due to low tailwheel time) on my flying plane.

I'll add some hull insurance next renewal.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My model 2 was $400.00 a year,..this was 12 years ago thru Avemco,so one could probably figure 1/2 again in todays world to around $600.00..if I remember right it was the 1,000,000.00 with $20,000 hull,..they had an option to add vehicles to the policy too.

Mine is $625 per year for 1 mill liability only on my flying plane. Can't solo however until 10hrs dual & instructor sign off for tail wheel.

I'm not even looking at hull until next year's renewal due to the $1000 cost. I only had the ~10 hours of tailwheel to get my endorsement. They required 5 hours of dual to transition to the Kitfox to insure me. (They did cover that 5 hours of dual, with JimS - my instructor - listed as a second pilot.)

I went through EAA for insurance.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos