Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ivoprop maintenance

Default Ivoprop maintenance

Hello, purchased a Kitfox 4 with 3 blade Ivoprop on it. Has a small chip on end corner of one blade and some small peeling of tapes on others. Called Ivoprop and they want me to send all blades to them for inspection; not sure if needed? Any thoughts will be appreciated. thanks!

Default Re: Ivoprop maintenance

Small chips are easily repaired “ in the field” and don’t need to be returned to the factory.

Repair procedure for small chips. I’ve done this several times.

Turn the blade needing repairs so that the leading edge is level with the ground.
    Take baking soda and heap up a mound on the chipped area of the blade. Using painters tape on the backside of the blade and leaving the top edge slightly above the leading edge of the blade will form a dam keeping the baking soda from falling off the blade until the super glue is applied and dries.
    Add a couple drops of super glue to the mound of baking soda. Make sure the baking soda gets saturated all the way through but not too runny so that it runs out of the chip. Let dry for 10 or so minutes until hardened.
    File the repaired area to the original shape of the blade.
    Touch up with black gloss paint.

Obviously if the damage is more substantial, prudence would dictate returning to Ivo for inspection, repair or replacement of the damaged blade or blades. They are not that expensive compared to most other props.

**Proper torque values for the prop mounting bolts is 200 inch pounds.**

If your leading edge stainless tapes do need replacing, here is a video showing the proper procedure:

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Desert Fox. Doesn't look too difficult, will try it. Also saw video on balancing these blades, is this something that needs to be done or are they balanced when purchased? Have you had to balance them? Also a tiny movement of blades left to right indicating they aren't snug at the hub, Is this normal for these blades? thanks.

Never hurts to balance any prop. I have not as of yet balanced an Ivo but will soon with a Dynavibe Classic Prop balancer.

***If you are getting any movement of blades at the hub you need to investigate before next flight. If you dismount the prop from the prop hub, and you probably should, check the mounting holes in each blade hub for any elongation and look to see if there are any stress cracks radiating away from the holes in the composites. If so, either return them to Ivo for inspection or replace the blades with new blades.
    Symptoms of possible improper torque on the mounting bolts during operation. When and if you remount the blades, the torquing process outline by Ivo should be followed. It says to torque initially to 200 inch pounds. Go fly for 10 minutes or so and then re-torque again to 200 inch pounds. Install the little “tattle tale” stainless strips as recommended by Ivo from one blade hub to another to see if you get any future blade movement at the hubs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Will take your advice and do it. thanks for your help.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The prop bolts on my IVO medium had a 30 ftlb torque. The IVO prop plate/drive lugs to Rotax prop flange Y bolts were 200 inlbs . Their website has the instructions for the model you have with torque values.

The blades should not move in the hub, I would consider any movement Not airworthy.

I have a 70" medium 3 blade in flight adjustable hanging on my hangar wall that I should, could sell, came off my 912uls when I put on an Airmaster.
    The Ivo served me well, it was balanced with a Dynavibe when installed.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW