Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib Lacing in the Prop Wash

Default Rib Lacing in the Prop Wash

I have a series 6 wing which I believe is the same as the series 5 and 7 (non-STI) wings. I laid out a good pattern on my wing top that misses all the internal structure. Starting at 4" from the trailing edge and working forward my spacing on the top is 3.5". The spacing on the bottom, starting at the same 4" forward of the trailing edge is 3 3/8". I'm not sure what the distance across the wing length is starting at the butt rib that accounts for the "prop wash" area. I'll cut the rib lacing spacing in half within that area. So, which cap ribs should be laced at half these spacing lengths within the "prop wash"? Looking for some enlightenment.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Rib Lacing in the Prop Wash

I would not consider Rib #3 to be within the prop wash. However, Rib 2 is and if your tugging on fabric at 2 then IMO you must consider #3 as well. Cosmetically you won't even notice the closer stitch. And, Lacing is fun.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, Thanks for the info
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Before you act on what I suggest, certainly there are other opinions. I used Oratex so I used the closer spacing at Rib #2 but I didn't use any lacing on Rib #3 at all and I only put lacing on #2 behind the Tank where others put it on the under side of the tank all the way to the leading edge. One inch wide Rib Caps allow one to consider no lacing at all anyplace on the wing but it remains recommended by Poly Fiber and I believe most people lace in spite of it being OK to skip them if the fabric is attached well to the 1" wide cap strip. I don't recall ever seeing a KF without lacing. It just seems prudent to lace.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, Thanks for the additional good data. I'm getting the hang of gluing and shrinking the fabric. The Stewarts System I'm using is very simple, forgiving and it doesn't stink up my heated basement which keeps the wife happy. I've done lacing at Airventure a few times in the practice building but the moment I left I couldn't remember all the steps. I plan to study a few You Tube videos and practice on a sample before I lace the real thing. I'm looking forward to it. It's all been fun so far.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering if I should lace rib #1 & #3. Based on pictures, I don't see anyone stitching the butt rib (#1). #3 would require small holes to be drilled in the Hysol between the tank and the rib. I am using Oratex and I have glued the fabric to the top of the tank. (Model 7 SS)

SR,

For Rib #1, considering that the fabric is shrunk, wrapped around and glued down to the inside edge of the rib, it is not going anywhere without rib lacing anyway - at least with polyfiber - can't speak to other covering systems which I have never used. It was no big deal to drill the hysol on #3 and lace that rib so that is what I did. # 2 rib was only laced behind the rear spar on our plane but securely poly tacked to the bottom rib forward of that.

After many years all is well with this in spite of my flying
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thank you very much for the info, Dave. I'll proceed with lacing #3 as you mention.

I agree with Dave. Also, the Oratex glue is supposedly stronger in peel, etc. than others.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks, John! I should have paid more attention when I looked at your plane a while back