Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avgas, Mogas, Swift and Mix ratios

Default Avgas, Mogas, Swift and Mix ratios

I know these topics have been discussed and Ive done a bunch of searching but couldn't come up with the answers Im looking for.

Im considering my fueling options. We have 100LL on the field but the price is quite high, almost $6. Im also weary that 25 hr oil changes are going to get old pretty quick. So long story short Id like to find an option that will at least give me 50 hr oil changes and not break the bank (max 30 - 50 % avgas use as I understand it). During cross country I plan on fueling with avgas as others do. Which means I should be using mostly non leaded gasoline all other times.

In our area we have 90 ethanol free car gas. Which I think is 90 AKI. My first question: Is this an option? I know the engine needs 91 AKI min, so is there a reliable way to mix avgas and 90 to get up to 91-93 to have some buffer? I could not find an AKI rating for 100ll and a good way to estimate the mix.

I did find this document https://www.rotax-owner.com/pdf/AvgasAutogasMixing.pdf from Rotax-owner which deals in MON and gives a rough way to estimate but does this method apply to other ratings? Also what is the min MON for rotax?

For those interested: I also got a quote from Swift for UL 94, 700 gallons per gallon cost delivered was $6.36. It was about $6.90 if only ordering 350 gallons. I did some rough calculations including oil changes (oil and oil filter cost me $70 with shipping from lockwood) at 25 hrs running 100 avgas and oil changes running 100% swift at 100 hrs. The cost per gallon used was almost a wash $6.50 per gallon with Swift and $6.60 per gallon with 100LL. This is independent of hrs run, it is adjusted for oil change cost per gallon. Assuming a 5 gallon per hr average.

So swift starts to sound like a decent option, likely better for the engine long term AND you save a ton of time in changing the oil. But it is pricey. Id love to be able to use local car gas and mix to 91-93 with Avgas. What would be even better is if that ratio was less than around 30% avgas, because then I believe 50 hr oil changes would be acceptable and the cost would be WAY cheaper.

So what is everyone doing? And is there a known and effective way to mix 100ll and 90 ethanol free?

Thanks!

Default Re: Avgas, Mogas, Swift and Mix ratios

With ethanol free 90 octane fuel, you should be able to add 10% ethanol to it and be above the 91 octane minimum and At or below the 10% ethanol maximum.

Preferably I’d like to run 0% ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    Preferably I’d like to run 0% ethanol
    I figured, and I would too, but I think I would prefer to run 10% ethanol over 100LL.

Joe, as a point of interest, when you do your oil change, I recommend a good read through of the procedure in the maintenance manual. As they put it, "procedure must be followed meticulously". I learned the significance of this in the Rotax coarse I took back in October. In short, don't allow air to be introduced into the system. Im flying a 912iS, I use 100LL 100% of the time. Decalin Run Up added at each fill up. When you read the Line Maintenance Manual you will note as I did, Oil changes are now at 100hr unless you use 100LL 30% or more in which the frequency of oil changes are at 50hrs. I understand that those numbers are double what used to be called for. I spoke with Bryan at California Power Systems regarding the change. He states that he would continue to use the 30-35 hr frequency. This is what Stick and Rudder uses if I recall correctly and I believe Kitfox does as well. This is what I do. I just did an oil change at 35hrs and given how dark the oil was, I feel comfortable that this frequency will suit me fine.
    Rotax mentions nothing about adding Decalin Run Up that I have seen. As I understand it, Run Up is a lead scavenger and facilitates burning the lead. Since Im adding product that Rotax fails to mention, I might consider (if I were hoping to increase octane level) an octane boost product that can be purchased at an automotive store. Notice, I said "might". I don't even know what the octane boost is made of.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey Eddie, I did read through it well. There is lots of conflicting info out there and the doubling of oil intervals added to it I think. I am running decalin currently as I am running 100% 100ll

Joe, make sure the 90 is really an AKI number. I am skeptical because all the ethanol free premium mogas available in Oregon at a couple of airports and at auto service stations is 92 AKI. If your 90 mogas is some other rating system, there are charts to convert it to AKI.

I have been using the 92 AKI mogas for over 800 hours now, with 100LL on cross-countries but never over 30%. I use 50 hour oil change intervals. Just checked my compression and it is like new, 81-82/83.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Download the app PureGas.

Barring any variables pertaining to test equipment, Jim, your compression check is better than mine and mine is new.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, mine was also not as good when it was new. Apparently the engine just keeps slowly breaking in and improving as time goes on.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS