Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Default How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for ideas as to how I should best go about generating interest in the building and flying of kit built STOL aircraft, in a region where they virtually do not currently exist.

Over the last 30-plus years, I've worked in design and experimental flight test for several major OEMs and tier 1 suppliers.

I began flying single engine piston aircraft in late 2008.

I've never purchased or built a kit aircraft myself but I've worked in Liaison Engineering to support manufacture and modification of commercial and business aircraft.

I believe there are many among the region's 2.5 million population who would be keen to fly "low and slow" around and between the various islands; such as retired airline pilots, business owners, high net worth individuals, active airline pilots and young commercial pilots building hours (interested in fractional ownership), as well as other aviation enthusiast (possibly just interested in being part of a "Build Assist" as a hobby).

It would be great to learn how other communities of kit aircraft builders were formed and nurtured on the way to becoming well established General Aviation successes.

Looking forward to hearing from many of you.

Thanks for your time out to read this and for your suggestions.

Best regards,

dave

Default Re: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

I think you should build one yourself and then fly it all around the Caribbean as many places as you can. A nice Kitfox always attracts attention wherever you land and this is your chance to talk to people and advertise how great and reliable it is and how much fun you are having at a very economical per hour cost, etc. The message will get around.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Thank you Jim, that's definitely a good idea.

I'm tackling many issues at once though. For example there is no official Light Sport Aircraft category within the regulations of the Civil Aviation Acts of the various island nations (enforced by different regulatory bodies), so I will have to convince each agency's Director General that the aircraft can be operated to the level of safety they set as a minimum and that typically is the same as they demand of the airlines.

I believe General Aviation and kit built aircraft can indeed achieve the safety goal through adoption of exceptional training incorporated into "Build Assist" programs (the latter in a very interesting way of course to make the learning experience both attractive and compelling).

Needless to say, my goal is to one day purchase a kit, so I won't be flying any time within the next 180 days. I will however take your suggestion very seriously and see if there is one or more persons willing to purchase factory built aircraft and import them into the region, so that a head start might be gained.

Thanks again for your contribution,
    Best regards,
    dave

YouTube Cory Robin. He and Dooley Vanyo flew down to the islands last year in a couple Carbon Cubs.

I believe the McBeans and the Leadabrands flew their Kitfoxes to Sebring and then the Bahamas in 2012... documented on this forum, and maybe elsewhere also?
    Last edited by jrevens; 12-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Cool Re: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    YouTube Cory Robin. He and Dooley Vanyo flew down to the islands last year in a couple Carbon Cubs.
    Thank's for that very good suggestion.

In fact I've very casually exchanged an email with Cory in the past; concerning a GA venture in the region. It went no further.

I actually posted a link last week to that great video - the one where they landed on a remote beach on an uninhibited island and went for a swim - to the Facebook page of the local Light Aeroplane Club associated with the island I'm currently visiting.

Hopefully one day soon the "Flying Cowboys" might bring STOL racing to the region.

It would be an amazing sight to see if such races could be staged at the beach fronts of major vacation resorts throughout the region but that's just a distant dream you've got me pondering now

Maybe Kevin Quinn will read this and you know Kevin, if anyone can, he'll make it happen ... LOL

Thanks again for your reply and great suggestion, seems I'm already on a good route to navigate.

Cheers,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I believe the McBeans and the Leadabrands flew their Kitfoxes to Sebring and then the Bahamas in 2012... documented on this forum, and maybe elsewhere also?
    Thank you very much for that 'heads up' info John.

I'm going to see if I can find the description.

If I can't, I'll write to John and Debra to see if they can point me to it. I've written to John recently to give him an idea as to my goal.

Thanks again. Great suggestion. Much appreciated.
    Best regards,
    dave
    Last edited by AviationLed; 12-03-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AviationLed View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm looking for ideas as to how I should best go about generating interest in the building and flying of kit built STOL aircraft, in a region where they virtually do not currently exist.

Over the last 30-plus years, I've worked in design and experimental flight test for several major OEMs and tier 1 suppliers.

I began flying single engine piston aircraft in late 2008.

I've never purchased or built a kit aircraft myself but I've worked in Liaison Engineering to support manufacture and modification of commercial and business aircraft.

I believe there are many among the region's 2.5 million population who would be keen to fly "low and slow" around and between the various islands; such as retired airline pilots, business owners, high net worth individuals, active airline pilots and young commercial pilots building hours (interested in fractional ownership), as well as other aviation enthusiast (possibly just interested in being part of a "Build Assist" as a hobby).

It would be great to learn how other communities of kit aircraft builders were formed and nurtured on the way to becoming well established General Aviation successes.

Looking forward to hearing from many of you.

Thanks for your time out to read this and for your suggestions.

Best regards,

dave

Why fly ' low & slow ' in the Southern Caribbean ?

Here are some Points of Interest that might be worth exploring from above.

1. Flying over the coastal forest
    2. Sand Cliffs & beaches in the Southland
    3. The unseen reef
    4. Wet lands & coconut trees
    5. Mini surprise Volcano in the making
    6. A closer look at sand Cliffs
    7. Beach combing
    8. Places to land for a beach BBQ
    9. Get away island life
    10. North Coast rain forest & beaches

Please note
    :
    I do not possess the rights to any of the videos linked to above.
    The links are provided for educational purposes only per "fair use policy".
    My sincerest gratitude to the persons who shared their content freely (or with reserved rights) online.

Is it legal to land on the beaches??? Thought I read somewhere there was
    a rather stiff fine for off airport landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Is it legal to land on the beaches??? Thought I read somewhere there was
    a rather stiff fine for off airport landings.

Thanks for that question and it is a very good one

What I found in my research so far and what's come up in discussions, is that you can typically operate on/off private property once you do so safely (it's suggested that one confirms - with the Director General of the applicable Civil Aviation Authority - that there is no issue regarding entry into the national airspace system once one leaves the surface before one's intended flight).

Local ordinances concerning land use typically apply only up to the 'high water mark' however, as with anything, one should check with the appropriate responsible authority(s) before proceeding, just in case prior written authorization is necessary; will help to have the latter (a copy of written authorization) handy if you are ever approached by local law enforcement (National Security is a concern with respect to many of the island nations and activity around their coastal borders can be a very sensitive issue)

As has been suggested in one of the forums, gathering of all relevant info and creation of itineraries that can be used by those seeking adventure, will go a long way to facilitate adoption.

In summary, by working with the various authorities, I think it is certainly possible to set things up such that there will be quite a diverse assortment of approved adventure routes & itineraries, so that the prospect of incurring unnecessary fines won't be an issue.

By the way, it might be appreciated that fines are only issued if laws / regulations are broken and breaking them could not have been avoided through any other action at the time of the infraction or through prior preventative action being taken.

Again, it will be about making adoption as 'friction less' as possible for aviation enthusiasts to enjoy the activity without compromising safety, significantly harming local environments or constituting a largely unwelcome inconvenience for the local populace.

Thanks again for the great question.

Cheers
    Best regards,
    dave