Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Default Re: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

I believe the Bahamas prohibit beach landings with a stiff fine. The Caribbean islands are so numerous and belong to many different nations, so I would imagine that beach landing rules are many and varied.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: How best to introduce STOL flying to the Caribbean, any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I believe the Bahamas prohibit beach landings with a stiff fine. The Caribbean islands are so numerous and belong to many different nations, so I would imagine that beach landing rules are many and varied.
    Jim, you are very likely correct.

However from what I can tell by referring to their Civil Aviation Act (1976 and subsequent amendments) - for example, the Statute Law of the Bahamas, Chapter 284, PART III, paragraph 5, sub-para (2) (j),(n),(o) and sub-para (4) & (5) - the Minister and by extension, upon the advice of the Director of Civil Aviation, may designate prohibited areas but such authority is intended to facilitate meeting the objectives of the Chicago convention and subsequent international commercial aviation objectives.

I suspect there are other laws in place regarding land use and which have oversight by other government agencies that have the authority to issue fines but it would require consultation with someone with expertise in Bahamian law to find out. I have no such expertise.

The safest approach I'd thus recommend to everyone is to 'ask before one acts'

Cheers,
    dave

Reference : http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...ationAct_1.pdf
    Last edited by AviationLed; 12-05-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AviationLed View Post
    SEASON'S GREETINGS
    Wishing you and yours ...

tis the seasonto be.png