Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seats

Default Re: Seats

For those of us too cheap to buy anything we can make ...

Made these myself, bought the material AND the sewing machine for less than commercially upholstered
    seats. These are heavy Cordura, and I wash them with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush on plane
    wash day.

This is the machine, it sews this material easily just need to lube the thread with silicon spray to
    prevent fraying. Took a little practice to learn to sew, but if you can build a plane ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-RX-607Z...cAAOSw7FRWXcof

I bought Memory foam skins from a foam manufacturer in Florida for about $10 per 1" x 4' x 6' skin. They cut it off
    the foam blocks when they make the foam. Works fine for upholstery, but looks ugly and they can't sell it
    for manufacturing sales.

You can cut it with a knife easily, but I discovered that the bandsaw cuts it like butter, and makes perfect cuts.
    The seat bottom is three laminations. one medium density, and two soft density foam. Then glued together
    with spray adhesive.

Cordura is backed by 1/4" sew foam which is spray glued to the cordura before cutting.

The lower seat cushion is a good 3" thick, but you sink into it quickly, and it's good for hours at a time.

Jeff

P1020800.jpg

Incredible work Jeff.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

How fortunate you are to have an upholstery guy at your disposal. Those look great. I would have made my own as well if I were in your position. Nice Job.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I am my upholstery guy, I taught myself how to do it ... That was the point. It's not that difficult.
    Plus it saves a TON of money, and I ended up with a sewing machine for my trouble.

Kitfox trailer was how I learned how to weld, and ended up owning a welder

Jeff

Jeff, noticed you didn't say anything to the forum about your blue jean restoration business. You did a great job on the seats, a true homebuilder you are. Bruce N199CL

Oh, got you confused with Tracstar I think. He has an upholstery guy to lean on. Jeff, your seats look fantastic for having learned yourself. I once sewed a Grim Reaper gown for Halloween. Based on that, I didn't think I could get seats done as well as you have.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Here's a seat I was working on for my Zenith 801. Basically I just sketch everything out with pencil
    and paper as panels. Then I trace these onto the Cordura with white chalk pencil. I then staple the
    panels together with a paper stapler, then sew them and trim off the stapled section.

10201949357164761.jpg

Hello!
    Can anyone share seat pan details?
    Looking for seat back angle. depth of floor. Distance from butt to fuse frame, etc.
    Need to fabricate a pan for a S7 but dont have one to make a mould.
    Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
    Pat.