Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Seats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Seats

Personally I'm doing all the interior myself. You can buy really great foam (memory foam if you want) at a fraction of the cost. It's going to be a lot of work, but I also have a local upholstery old timer willing to show me the ropes. He's helped source materials as well. I'm going to go with a high end marine grade fabric. I was hoping leather originally, but damn it's expensive for quality. All in I'll probably be at $500 and be totally custom. This is going to include the dash, seat pans and cushions with covers. Hopefully it turns out as good as I'm hoping. Will be starting on it this weekend as long as nothing gets in the way.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

For those of us too cheap to buy anything we can make ...

Made these myself, bought the material AND the sewing machine for less than commercially upholstered
    seats. These are heavy Cordura, and I wash them with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush on plane
    wash day.

This is the machine, it sews this material easily just need to lube the thread with silicon spray to
    prevent fraying. Took a little practice to learn to sew, but if you can build a plane ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-RX-607Z...cAAOSw7FRWXcof

I bought Memory foam skins from a foam manufacturer in Florida for about $10 per 1" x 4' x 6' skin. They cut it off
    the foam blocks when they make the foam. Works fine for upholstery, but looks ugly and they can't sell it
    for manufacturing sales.

You can cut it with a knife easily, but I discovered that the bandsaw cuts it like butter, and makes perfect cuts.
    The seat bottom is three laminations. one medium density, and two soft density foam. Then glued together
    with spray adhesive.

Cordura is backed by 1/4" sew foam which is spray glued to the cordura before cutting.

The lower seat cushion is a good 3" thick, but you sink into it quickly, and it's good for hours at a time.

Jeff

P1020800.jpg

Incredible work Jeff.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy