Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: What AHRS?

Default What AHRS?

I'm looking for an ahrs to feed my ifly 740b for synthetic vision. I already have a adsb "in" so I dont need that feature but maybe anything I get will have it. I know the ilevil 3 aw is good but its $1200. I see the stratux for $239. Any thoughts?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: What AHRS?

Howdy Ken, Sorry I have no answers for you, but glad you started this thread. I recently switched my nav app to IFLY on a tablet mounted to my panel , after playing with the app in their booth at OSH last summer. Just started to think about AHRS and what it would entail to incorporate into the nav setup , so will be following your thread as you do all the legwork for me , thanks. Hope you guys are doing well . Bruce

I use this with my iPad and Foreflight. It works beautifully with my setup but I'm not sure if it will work with IFly.

https://flywithsentry.com
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Sorry Bruce, not doing much legwork here. Seems options/affordable options are limited if not using Foreflight, which I am not.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Not a problem Ken, the AHRS was something I just started thinking about,but not a pressing issue. I'm a day VFR kitfox guy , so it was not a had to have item . With the tech changes coming fast and furious something will come along. Early on I didn't think I could be ADSB compliant for the 1300 bucks either. If we are patient something will come along. Bruce N199CL

I have FlyQ and the Ilevel3 AW. Have not installed in the aircraft yet. Just playing with it on the kitchen table. I found that the synthetic vision works well and only uses the attitude and artificial horizon from the AHRS unit. Altitude and heading are coming from the GPS in FlyQ. I sent FlyQ an email on the lack of usage of actual magnetic heading and altitude from the AHRS but they failed to answer my questions with direct answers. They said next revision to FlyQ will have pitot static support, Whatever that means. I also cannot do a split screen with the AHRS utility and FlyQ, neither are supported on my 10.5 iPad. You can do split screen in FlyQ synthetic vision and maps only.
    Last edited by KenZ; 12-12-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

I built a Stratux with the GPS chip that provides full AHRS. gives me ADS-B In and AHRS all for under $100.00

http://stratux.me
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 12-15-2019 at 08:25 AM.