Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing gear direction

Default Landing gear direction

I went to a fly-in today and saw a beautiful model 5 safari. I talked with the owner and noticed his main gear on opposite of mine with brake lines exiting the rear. We figured one of us built incorrectly. We exchanged phone numbers and each checked our manuals when we got home. It appears we were both correct. But he said his instructions for orientation came from Grove.
    Does anyone know the reasoning. I'm thinking more 5's came with o-200's and it was for w&b. Funny thing is he has a 912uls and I'm the one with the o-200. But my w&b is perfect.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Landing gear direction

If the gear can go either way, personally, Id prefer the brake lines aft of the gear to help protect them from any impact from rocks the prop may kick up. However Cessna gear has the brakelines in front of the gear.
    Last edited by Hawkertech; 12-01-2019 at 06:31 AM.

The kitfox build manual says brake lines face forward, taper faces rearward. His grove instructions, from 1997 I believe, say the brake lines face aft. I dont know if it says anything about the taper. His kitfox manual speaks of the cabane gear. His gear appears to be the same as mine, just turned backwards. I assume this moves the axle centerline aft. Or is it just an illusion.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

My model 5 grove gear is setup for external brake line. On the gear dead center, it is marked ""fwd" (or maybe front, I forget), making the brake lines groove on the rear, trailing edge of the gear.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

I have the tall gear with the front marked and the brake lines facing to the rear on a KF5.