Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disassembly cleaning wing tank KITFOX3

Default Disassembly cleaning wing tank KITFOX3

Hello, we found during the andoscopic inspection of a wing tank of my kitfox that the coating in the tank was detached and decomposed.
    You could see the photo joint.
    Has anyone ever had this problem? Disassembly, cleaning? Your solutions?
    Thank you,

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChrisKitfox; 11-29-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Repair
    ChrisFlyer

Default Re: Disassembly cleaning wing tank KITFOX3

To me the fuel system is way too critical of a safety item to mess with trying to fix the problem you have. My opinion is to replace the tanks with the new alcohol resistant ones.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I second that notion. Replace with new tanks that you don't have to worry about ethanol hurting them.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    To me the fuel system is way too critical of a safety item to mess with trying to fix the problem you have. My opinion is to replace the tanks with the new alcohol resistant ones.
    It is clear that it would be best but I do not know if I will find the tanks for my model. I do not know if it's fiberglass tanks
    ChrisFlyer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKitfox View Post
    It is clear that it would be best but I do not know if I will find the tanks for my model. I do not know if it's fiberglass tanks
    Do you have the procedure for this replacement? Instructions? photos? tutorial?
    ChrisFlyer

Does kitfox sell them for your plane. If not I would pick brandon’s brain on maybe modifying the tanks they sell to make them work in yours? He would be the best resource as I know brandon told me he spent a lot of time researching resin that is safe with ethanol.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I believe others have used acetone (or something) to dissolve the Kreem fuel tank sloshing compound and recoated their tanks with that or some other tank seal compound. If you do a search in the archives, I think you can find posts about it. That would be my first thought on how to solve the problem. JImChuk

PS, what were you trying to show in the second picture besides the disgusted look on your face?

New tanks for the 3 are shown as available in the online Kitfox catalog but it does say you have to specify the wing twist. As stated, a call to Kitfox may provide some answers.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    New tanks for the 3 are shown as available in the online Kitfox catalog but it does say you have to specify the wing twist. As stated, a call to Kitfox may provide some answers.

Rick
    Hello, thank you for your answer. I am in France and it is not easy here.
    Can you give me the link on the Kitfox catalog. I want Brandon's contact to know he did? Is disassembly of the wing tank complicated?
    Can it be done without deoiling (remove the canvas)?
    Thank you
    ChrisFlyer

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I believe others have used acetone (or something) to dissolve the Kreem fuel tank sloshing compound and recoated their tanks with that or some other tank seal compound. If you do a search in the archives, I think you can find posts about it. That would be my first thought on how to solve the problem. JImChuk

PS, what were you trying to show in the second picture besides the disgusted look on your face?
    The second photo shows the modification made on the control panels. We had a flutter problem during the first flight after the purchase
    of the machine. We looked for possible tracks. There is the game in the kinematics of the command. We replaced some parts including
    the chappes. It's not my face but that of one of the technicians of the aeronautical maintenance training center who is working
    on the Kitfox with students. other photos of the project:IMG_20191122_112207.jpgIMG_20191122_145049.jpgIMG_20191122_145320.jpg ..
    ChrisFlyer