Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Shielded spark plug wire Rotax 912

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shielded spark plug wire Rotax 912

Seems my Kitfox 4 that I just purchased came with shielded spark plug wires. The shield grounds to the ignition box behind the firewall ( box houses the coils and mags)

problem is I can’t seem to find shielded wire anywhere. Did Rotax stop requiring this on the 912 ?

heres said box and the spark plug wires (blue). There is a metal retaining bracket that clamps the spark plug wires to the ignition box and affectively Grounds the wires (not showed)

7C395078-BA07-4606-BB71-C6CD5F6B5833.jpg

Default Re: Shielded spark plug wire Rotax 912

300+ views, no response

Heres what I did: Ordered standard Rotax Ignition wire and 3/8 shielding, put the shielding over the ignition wire, heat shrink and zip tie near the cap, shielding stops at the ground block that houses the modules.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.36.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.36.24 PM.jpg
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 01-14-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Ignition box. Tight fit getting all the wires back in there.

There is more blue heat shrink covering the shielding where the wires go threw the firewall (Just as added protection)

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.45.55 PM.png

Original ignition wires, Badly frayed, and falling apart, pretty sure these are the originals from 20+ years ago

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.51.55 PM.png
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 01-14-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Looks like a good replacement job on some very well used and hard to find original wires. 👍
    Your engine has to be pushing 29 years old now considering the design on the ignition system. Not too many sold with the ignition “box” that mounts inside the cockpit but they seemed to be a very reliable design.
    Hope she’s running great and flying every day.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Looks like a good replacement job on some very well used and hard to find original wires. 👍
    Your engine has to be pushing 29 years old now considering the design on the ignition system. Not too many sold with the ignition “box” that mounts inside the cockpit but they seemed to be a very reliable design.
    Hope she’s running great and flying every day.
    This kit fox was purchased in 1992, finished in 1995, only has 157 hours total time, Original builder literally pulled her out of storage from over the winter, did the annual, put her on floats and brought it to the cottage, flew her maybe a couple times a month (Very detailed log books), than back onto wheels and into storage come fall. repeat for 20+ years.

I'm rebuilding/inspecting/replacing parts over the winter, hope to fly come spring.