Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible Kitfox Flight Training in AL?

Default Re: Possible Kitfox Flight Training in AL?

Steve,
    I have thought of installing the oil thermostat but it came out after I had already installed the shutters and I didn't want to go thru all the plumbing and purge procedure .However, the thought of less drain from the oil tank into the engine case is VERY appealing ! Is it really much less ? It doesn't take long for the oil in my tank to go below the dipstick (a few days unless I turn the prop when the oil is cold)
    The gear and electric trim are the best mods. I sure wouldn't go back to stock.
    The VG's eeeehhhh not much change there but they look cool. They did work well on my former Piper Pacer
    Dick

Don't believe I would try that hard rudder on the cross wind turn maneuver in any other aircraft. That is pretty much the way we introduced a student to a "skidded turn stall" when I was a Navy flight instructor teaching in North American T-28's. We did that at altitude and in the case of the T-28 it would roll over on it's back scaring the crap out of the student .He thus learned to fly in coordinated flight in the pattern. The scenerio was overshooting final and then jamming in the rudder to correct back to centerline
    As for the oil thermo,I think I am going to get one.
    Thanks !
    Dick

Whoa, I thought this thread was dead haha.

Catz, That would be awesome and I really think it would be worth the drive. I walk around at about 210 but can cut to 190 if you give me a few weeks notice (product of my wrestling years). Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get a date worked out.

Hey Slyfox, What is a good coolant temp? I'm finding conflicting information. The guy who ferried my plane down thought it was high @ 180 (Evens NPG+) But I'm seeing that that is a good temp. What is normal operating range for coolant?

Not like I'm flying any time soon, The only person I can find to check me out/ finish my tail wheel in a Kitfox has to come down from Renton to Vancouver.

180 is what I shoot for. You can go to 220 with this expecially with the evans coolant. If you see temps in the 220 range with the radiator unblocked, you need the evans coolant. If you can keep the temps around 180, you can get by with dexcool.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I agree with Slyfox,..180 is a good temp ,..so is 220,.. or 20 degree's plus minus of 200 degree's,.. this is the optimum temp for good cumbustion,.. cleaner burning of the fuel,..best heat range for HP,..

Chase

180 is the bottom of the green arc on my plane. I have to add tape to the radiator even with the shutters fully closed to get it there in the winter. 190 is the min for oil. My engine runs extremely cool and you can sure feel the differance when it is running too cool.
    Dick

I wonder if anyone has tried putting a split system incorporated in the cooling system,..like take a radiator that's 1/2 the size of the original and mount it behind the original but put gate valves to commit to only one at a time .,,cooler weather use the smaller radiator ,..warmer weather use the original ,..real hot weather use both ? hmmm ,..it really wouldnt add that much weight to do that ,...

Chase