Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax Maintenance Intervals

Default Rotax Maintenance Intervals

Rotax maintenance manual specifies an inspection/service every 100 hours. The Kitfox factory/FAA specifies a thorough inspection annually, which includes many items that are on the Rotax 100 hour checklist. Since I fly about 125-135 hours a year, the time for the annual never coincides with the Rotax 100 hour and many items overlap on both checklists; what to do? Since my 100 hour rolls around more often than the annual, I took all the overlapping items and marked them out of the annual checklist because they will be checked more than annually. In other words, my annual checklist includes almost no engine items, which really speeds up my annual. Of course all this is carefully logged and documented. I have been doing this for 800 hours, 6 years, now. I am curious what others are doing in similar circumstances?

If I ever start flying less than 100 hours/year I guess I will then do the opposite and mark out all the overlapping engine items from the 100 hour checklist. I suppose a person could just do everything on both checklists whenever the time rolls around, and not be concerned that some things get done twice within a few months; it certainly wouldn't hurt to do some overkill.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Rotax Maintenance Intervals

Hi,

I am similar , I follow Rotax's schedule for the engine, some items on the engine I use shorter run times than the line maintenance manual, like I do oil changes at 50 hrs even running premium unleaded 98% of the time, change plugs every 100hrs.
    Everything in the engine compartment gets checked out at the 100hr intervals including the engine per the manual and most items a good visual look over at the oil changes.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Do you guys do a compression check on the engine every annual or 100?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I use the Rotax 912 line maintenance manual's 200hr interval for the differential leak down compression check.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Ditto, I just go by the manual-every 200 hours. By the way, I just did my 800 hour Rotax uls engine inspection and 3 cylinders came out 83/82 and one cylinder at 83/81. Like new I would say.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS