Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Metal in right wing tank

Default Re: Help! Metal in right wing tank

This stuff is definitely metallic, I also get a very little amount of the white sand like stuff once in a while but rarely.

The fuel system returns to the header. And then the header has a vent line to the right wing tank (where im finding this stuff). Again I don’t believe I’ve ever found this stuff in the header.

I pulled both of my filters yesterday. The course which is before the fuel pumps had a pea sized goo ball that was not stuck to the mesh (for sure extra thread sealant). There was no other debris in the coarse filter. I smeared the goo flat to make sure there wasn’t anything in it. I found some small specks of fiberglass and a couple pieces very small flakes of aluminum but nothing I feel concerned about and nothing that looks like what I’m sumping.

The fine filter was also clear. I found maybe four total flakes of stuff that looked similar to what I have in the right tank although bigger pieces by about 1.5-2x. Other than that the filter had some white flakes but very little and some other random flecs but again so few I’m not concerned. The filter had changed color from white to a greyish. I’m assuming that’s the lead in 100ll? I’ve been running 100ll with scavenger solely

Right now my best suspects are:

the check valve on the return line to the header. I believe that was brass and if it’s chattering when I’m only running one pump (lower fuel pressure) maybe that could cause flakes and maybe they aren’t settling in the header and getting pumped up the air vent?

The sump valve it self in the right wing chattering and causing local debris that never leaves the tank.

Something in the injector rails and or fuel regulator.

What do y’all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think its very unlikely the brass is coming from sump valve or check valve chattering......? Have you heard them chattering? That would be some serious vibrations to cause brass shavings to occur? One thing I was thinking though, is what type of fuel strainer are you using? Just wondering if its metal or plastic? If its metal I could see shavings form when your inserting the fuel strainer in and your scraping the side of the brass drain?

I think I would also try fuel from a different source, or pump fuel into a gas can, and then strain it into another fuel can so you can insure you are not chasing a problem that is not on your aircraft?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

No I haven't heard chattering just an idea. Cant think of anything else. Im using a plastic stick fuel strainer. I didnt sump any today and I did get fuel from the same place. I had them show me the filters before fueling.

Im going to keep an eye on it, maybe it was bad fuel somewhere and its working its way out.

Long shot, but the brass fittings on the tanks might be a possible source. If they weren't looked at very carefully before installing, it's possible that there were small shavings inside the bore. I've seen milling residue inside fittings adhering to the light oil film following machining during their manufacture. Sometimes fittings aren't cleaned as good as they should be. Like I said, it's a long shot.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Im still finding metal. The qty isn't really going up or down. Seems to increase after longer flight. I think Im going to add a line filter to the vent line and possibly the main line to see if I find anything. I just did an oil change and cut the filter, didn't see anything. Im wondering if its worth getting the oil tested? Is this common practice? Any suggestions?

Joe I think I would try and narrow it down. Can you try getting fuel from a different source until your confident it’s not coming from the fuel. Are you doing the fueling? The fill neck on the tanks have a sharp edge the I can see would scrape metal off the fill nozzle. I use a vp gas can and if I let it touch the side it will scrape plastic off the fill nozzle. I could see it doing the same thing with the fuel nozzle If the angle is just right.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Dustin. I have been fueling at the same place but I have asked them to show me the filters and they have. Also I think I would be seeing debris in both tanks. In addition, I agree the filler could scrape the nozzle, but the nozzle isn't copper/brass I dont believe.

Yeah seems like it would be in both tanks. The IS has two fuel pumps that you alternate which one? Does running either pump and do you still get metal? If it’s not coming from the fuel in the tanks, then it’s got to be fuel system. Do you ever get medal out of the header tank?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!