Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts beyond Kitfox?? @ $150K for a well equipped 7 STOL Turbo - I think I'm out

Default Thoughts beyond Kitfox?? @ $150K for a well equipped 7 STOL Turbo - I think I'm out

Not long ago I was ready to buy a Factory built Kitfox - STOL, Turbo, Glass helm. I made a quick trip to Idaho and checked out the factory and for whatever reason left that day without leaving a deposit or signing a buy agreement. I was totally bummed out on the return trip, but that is when I realized for there first time I did not really research or consider any other STOL brand. I think I got caught up in the Kitfox hype and never stood back to evaluate other options.

And that is my question today. Other options, especially at the higher price end.

To get the series 7 STOL kit with the turbo engine, VP prop, glass helm, big tires you are over $100k, plus build labor and paint. Ready to fly, with a few more doodads the price is probably closer to $160k. This higher than planned, but very realistic dollar amount puts you within reach of many options like a used carbon cub, used Husky or even the super cool Euopean Stol Shock https://www.zlinaero.com/prodotti.php?id=17&lang=2 .

I totally get the advantages of a traditional Kitfox kit, I am 100% sold on it, (low entry price, ability to freely modify, high performance experience, etc) but for a "Ready to Fly" Kitfox, especially a well equipped late year model, what are your thoughts on best value vrs perforemance. Is the $150k STOL Turbo Kitfox a better experience than others at this price, or is there a dollar curve that once exceeded, the Kitfox losses its appeal and other options become better platforms for the money and resale.

At $150K - $160K would you still be flying a Kitfox - or something else... At this $150K price level, is Kitfox still king?

With that said I am really leaning toward a used $150k-$180k plane (Husky, Carbon Cub, etc, sold at $250k - $300K new).

Thoughts...

ps - I will not be doing any X games or red bull or youtube stuff - just flying around Utah and Wyoming and Idaho. Basically just average joe having a safe fun day.

Default Re: Thoughts beyond Kitfox?? @ $150K for a well equipped 7 STOL Turbo - I think I'm o

I don’t see the logic in comparing the price of a new ss kitfox to a used carbon cub. I guess it could be hard to find a used ss to compare prices with though...

Default Re: Thoughts beyond Kitfox?? @ $150K for a well equipped 7 STOL Turbo - I think I'm o

If you're looking for ready-built, how about: http://www.aerotrek.aero/default.htm

Sorry for non-Kitfox post

I built my Model 7 with a turbo charged engine and constant speed prop with an EFiS for $65,000.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'm a newer Kitfox owner and walked the path you are venturing down now. Instead of asking bunch of Kitfox owners what the best airplane it (Guess what they would say) I did my own research and bought an already built Kitfox.
    I started off looking not at the initial cost but at the total cost. I considered Maules, Huskys , C140, C170, Supercub and a Kitfox model 5 thru 7. Instead of a multi page dissertation here are the Cliff Notes:
    Maule and Husky planes are very expensive to insure. Expensive as in double of what a like value Cessna taildragger costs to insure. The Guy I talked to at Falcon insurance said that "People in Maules and Huskys do dumb things and the rest of the community pays for it". Also factory built so you have to pay an A&P to work on it.
    The Cessnas was eliminated simply because of age. I didn't want to have to chase parts or deal with 70 year old airplane issues. Also factory built so you have to pay an A&P to work on it.
    The Super Cub couldn't carry very much camping gear and my wife said she would never fly in it because of its seating configuration. Also factory built so you have to pay an A&P to work on it.
    The Kitfox 6 that I purchased she sits next to me, carries more weight than I ever haul AND I can fix it myself. For me it was a no brainer.
    Bottom line, do your homework and get educated and fly it before you buy it.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

first off, there is no way I would spend that much on a kitfox. now between my two airplanes, well I still don't have that much in the two. I have a kitfox 4 and a rv7a. both have a mighty fine engine. won't go into that but, I think you got the salesmans top prize. yes every manufacturer out there has their top model. do you need it? I couldn't tell you. that's up to what YOU want. Both my airplanes are basic on panels. Engines, that a different story. I do have the uls in my kitfox with in flight adjustable prop, I have 27.5 tires and a T3 with 8inch wide in the back. much more than that for other things. total investment over the years is well below 50 K . everything is what it is, yes there is the best of the best, do you need it, can't tell you. there is always a compromise. are you building or wanting something to blow everybody else away or are you wanting something to give you the ah ha moment.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Lots of choices! Side by side vs tandem, Rotax vs. Lyc/Cont, TW vs. Trike.
    I've owned certified and EAB and in the end, there's not a huge difference in total cost of ownership. Granted, hiring an IA/AP can add to the costs, but find one that will work with you and save.
    RANS, Kitfox, Just, Legend, CubCrafters, and others all make great planes.
    Currently own/fly a Cessna 172 and a RANS S7. They will do everything I want to do. Sold a KF, liked the plane, but prefer tandem for Backcountry type stuff.
    Boils down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I built my Model 7 with a turbo charged engine and constant speed prop with an EFiS for $65,000.

I would like more info on this build.
    I just visited the factory last week, 915 engine and c/s prop and firewall forward kit is about 60k today. Then I need the plane to put behind it.

What did you use , just looking for options for my build. thanks

Wow that is about what my whole plane cost to build (with a new Continental XIO-240 eng.) , of course that was in 2003, how . Gonna just keep flying mine till I tip over. Bruce N199CL

I would like to know how much a ss 7 model with standard wings and a 912uls, with a simple panel would cost. up until 3 years ago this was the go to kitfox, not only that this plane would perform very well. what gives?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop