Not long ago I was ready to buy a Factory built Kitfox - STOL, Turbo, Glass helm. I made a quick trip to Idaho and checked out the factory and for whatever reason left that day without leaving a deposit or signing a buy agreement. I was totally bummed out on the return trip, but that is when I realized for there first time I did not really research or consider any other STOL brand. I think I got caught up in the Kitfox hype and never stood back to evaluate other options.

And that is my question today. Other options, especially at the higher price end.

To get the series 7 STOL kit with the turbo engine, VP prop, glass helm, big tires you are over $100k, plus build labor and paint. Ready to fly, with a few more doodads the price is probably closer to $160k. This higher than planned, but very realistic dollar amount puts you within reach of many options like a used carbon cub, used Husky or even the super cool Euopean Stol Shock https://www.zlinaero.com/prodotti.php?id=17&lang=2 .

I totally get the advantages of a traditional Kitfox kit, I am 100% sold on it, (low entry price, ability to freely modify, high performance experience, etc) but for a "Ready to Fly" Kitfox, especially a well equipped late year model, what are your thoughts on best value vrs perforemance. Is the $150k STOL Turbo Kitfox a better experience than others at this price, or is there a dollar curve that once exceeded, the Kitfox losses its appeal and other options become better platforms for the money and resale.

At $150K - $160K would you still be flying a Kitfox - or something else... At this $150K price level, is Kitfox still king?

With that said I am really leaning toward a used $150k-$180k plane (Husky, Carbon Cub, etc, sold at $250k - $300K new).

Thoughts...

ps - I will not be doing any X games or red bull or youtube stuff - just flying around Utah and Wyoming and Idaho. Basically just average joe having a safe fun day.