Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Insurance, How much are people paying?

Default Cost of Insurance, How much are people paying?

Time for the annual gouging by the insurance company, I would be curious to know
    what people are getting quoted for Kitfox insurance, what coverage they have, and the
    company they get it from?

Thanks!
    Jeff

Default Re: Cost of Insurance, How much are people paying?

This is my 3rd year with bwi. The 1st 2 years were $1008. This year I'm being quoted $1250. When I questioned the rise they said it's gone up across the board.
    I have $50k hull full coverage.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

There are many variables. I'll share mine. Rusty pilot returning after 25yrs. Only 265hrs TT, Commercial and instrument license, obviously not current. Current BFR and new Tail wheel endorsement with only 15hr tail wheel time. So, I think I must qualify for the higher end of the insurance premium range. Lucky me. I pay $2000 a year. They assured me it would go down as I obtained more tail wheel time. Im currently at 130hr and and on track to have 200hrs tail wheel time by March renewal. Hope its better and certainly don't want to see and increase.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I paid $1375 this year from Falcon. 1270 hours in tailwheel and of that 1025 in Kitfox IVs. Cost up about $150 from last year and that is likely because this year will be BD # 80.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I had used Falcon for years, but their rates doubled on me, and that was with no recent claims. I went to Avemco, and they were about 1/3 less then Falcon. I'm a half owner in an Aeronca Chief as well, and we switched from Falcon to Butler Brown, and our rate went down 40% (from 1250 to 750). Not sure if Butler Brown does experimentals though. I'll find out in March when the Avid is due again. I just carry liability on my Avid, we have full coverage on the Chief. JImChuk

Same rate as mine, and I'm with Falcon also ... Mine jumped $150 as well.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    I paid $1375 this year from Falcon. 1270 hours in tailwheel and of that 1025 in Kitfox IVs. Cost up about $150 from last year and that is likely because this year will be BD # 80.

Same boat. I used Falcon. I used to have full coverage 2011-2013 (30K hull) which was $1500 ish. I dropped that to not in motion and it went down to $800ish. My last renewal for the same "not in motion went up to $1000. So now I am only going to have liability only which is $175 ish. If I went back to full coverage, even with more tailwheel time now, my premium would be $1800ish which is crazy expensive.

The cost of insurance for airplanes is ridiculous. I have an offshore boat that I can load up 9 people on, go offshore up to 100 miles, without a captains license, or any kind of inspections, or ratings, and it costs $400 a year for full coverage and 50K hull value. I understand that there are alot more boats than airplanes so the cost is spread out more, but most people that have airplanes are a lot more meticulous with maintenance and careful about conditions so much less of a liability to insurance company than recreational airplanes. I just think they gouge becasue they can.

$1250 with BWIfly.com. 70k hull.

I switched from Falcon to BWI also. $60,000 hull, tailwheel time 1500+, 70 years old, $1262. Renews in March... we'll see.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I recently got a quote from BWI that was north of $1500, for 50,000 hull and liability. 1000 tailwheel in make and model , clean history , ATP 20000 total . Too rich for me still looking , Bruce N199CL