Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought Kitfox V Vixen

Default Just bought Kitfox V Vixen

I just bought a Kitfox V Vixen with a c 240 engine. I have almost no time in a kitfox but it sure seems like it is nose heavy. I need to talk to someone that has a Vixen with a c 240 engine to see if it just me and of course I have some other questions also.

Default Re: Just bought Kitfox V Vixen

I am assuming that by c240 , you mean you have a Continental IO-240 engine on your Vixen. Indeed this is a heavy engine for the Kitfox , I fly the Outback with the IO-240 , which is the tailwheel version of your Vixen . However if dealt with correctly , you should not notice that the aircraft is nose heavy. I suspect you are noticing this when slowing for landing and you run out of nose up trim. I would start by reweighing and rechecking the plane's weight and balance to see where your empty weight CG lies. If its too far forward , it means the original builder did not put enough stuff aft (battery, ELT, fuel pump etc) to offset the weight of the engine up front. Kitfox sells a trim assist kit which helps with the nose heavy tendency when flaps are down. What prop are you running on the engine , on this engine you need a lightweight prop . I can trim my airplane hands off on final at 55 MPH with flaps at 11 deg (first notch) which is my prefered flap setting for landings. Bruce N199CL

Yes, I did mean a Continental IO-240 engine. I am the fourth owner, including the builder. You are right that it is a heavy engine for the Kitfox. Yes I do run out of nose up trim when landing. I have found that one notch of flaps is a good setting for landing. I tried landing with the flaps all down and it was almost a three-point landing. I carry about 65 on approach – still new with this plane and want the extra margin at the bottom. I find that if I carry a little power I can lighten the load on the nose at touchdown. I don’t think anyone has needed the tail skid. I though the nose would stay up a little longer on landing – sort of like a certified plane. It has a wolf oil filter (attached at the fire wall – not sure if that was original. The battery is in the back and the header tank is behind the seats. The prop has been changed from the original and they put a prince prop on it. Not sure where the fuel pump is – yet. I knew it would be a little nose heavy but this seemed to be more than I thought it would be. Thanks for the information. Might just have to find some scales!

Check the build manual to see if the builder noted whether he put the 1 degree of forward sweep in the wings. You’ve got more than 50 more pounds in the nose than a Rotax 912. I noticed quite a difference adding about 6 pounds to my nose.

Thanks, I did and the builder did sweep the wings. I am going to check the weight of the current prop against the weight of the original one next. I appreciate all the comments and recommendations.

Jerry , if you post the figure for your empty weight CG , I can check it versus mine to see if they are comparable . That would be a good place to start. As I said in my previous post , after a few changes on mine I have achieved hands off trimability at over the fence speed . So we can see where you are starting from. Bruce N199CL

Thanks Bruce! I will get the numbers and get back to you!!

Bruce, My empty weight is 912 lbs and the CG is 9.74. It has the 1 degree forward wing sweep. I am digging around to see the original prop vs the one that is on it now. Also trying to find the equipment list. Thanks Jerry

Jerry, Those are encouraging numbers and your empty wt C.G. is actually more aft than mine which obviously is helpful with a heavy engine. I would still if you have access to scales go through and do a new weight and balance from ground zero just to be sure of accurate numbers. During the life of an airplane especially one with several owners like yours, stuff get added and removed and new weight and balance calc. are frequently overlooked. Also Check to see if you have the trim assist kit installed ( it is basically a heafty spring located right behind the seat and can be seen in a photo under a search on this site of the trim assist kit option) . Reading through the trim assist threads will explain its function. Keep us posted how you make out. Bruce N199CL

Thanks Bruce. I am checking on the prop weight but in the end I think I will have to find some scales. I will keep you posted - thanks again