Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Default Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Finally found myself a Kitfox here in Canada. I've been searching a long time, Problem is supply is extremely limited here n Canada, and most in my price range where Model 2's with 2 stroke engine and tons of hours.

This 1993 Model IV (Built and flying in 1995) only had 150 hours on it, and has a Rotax 912 80 HP engine. Aircraft had only 3 owners (2 in the last 3 years) and the build quality was exceptional. Original builder/ owner kept great logs, did lots of maintenance and only flew an average of 15 hours a years in it.

Log book shows he does his annual inspection. puts it on floats, takes it to the cottage, flies it a couple times a month and puts her away for the winter. Rinse and repeat for the first 15 years of her life.

Here is Foxy all loaded up on the custom trailer ready for her new home

IMG_2827.jpg

Aircraft happens to match the wife's pickup truck to boot

IMG_2829.jpg

Amazingly it fits in my 2 1/2 garage. Which means I get to spend the winter tweaking and making changes

IMG_2831.jpg

Default Re: Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Shot of the Trailer. Very well built and thought out.

The drive home (2 hours) was a little nerve wrecking, high winds meant I had to keep my speed down to 90 KM/h, and the darn passenger door kept popping open. We drained the tanks completely, and built the transport bars for the wings, Other than some tense moments on the drive my Kitfox arrived home safe and sound.

IMG_2833.jpg
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-13-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Day one was spent stripping, cleaning and inspecting everything.

Engine is good, needs motor mounts (the rubbers) and ignition cables, One of the scat tubes for carb heat needs to be replaced.

IMG_2835.jpg

Floors all cleaned up, Will need to clean up some wiring and fuel lines. Battery is shot and WAY to small, will order a the 680. and am going to replace the battery cables. And the old 121.5 ELT does in fact work, previous owner thought it was shot, new battery and its up and running.

Header tank needs to come out at some point to have a bung welded in for a low fuel warning light/buzzer

IMG_2841.jpg

Wiring is nice and tidy, but it will be all ripped out and done my way. (I don't believe in using the frame for grounds)

IMG_2844.jpg

Dash is also a Redo for me

fullsizeoutput_417.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of elbow grease, and the seat covers came out good as new.

IMG_2851.jpg

Spent today moving the fuel shut off valve from below the throttle to the foot well, I'm 6'4" and found the factory location impossible with my long legs, It's still easily reachable but now no longer jammed into my knee.

The yellowish tinge you see on the fuel line is some clear tubing to protect the fuel line from rubbing. I also redid some of the fuel lines to run perfectly straight (Did I mention I have major OCD?)

IMG_2850.jpg
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-13-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Tomorrow the Windshield comes off. It has a major crack that was "Fixed" with zip ties and RTV. (Hey it held...so good temp fix for sure)

IMG_2837.jpg

Due to my size (Tall not fat) I'm going to order the bubble doors in Medium Tint, I'm trying to source some 0.093 Tinted Polycarbonate here in Canada for the windshield. The Acrylic windshield is over $1100.00 Canadian with shipping and handling, and I've read too many horror stories of people cracking there new acrylic windshield. Bubbles doors I'll just have to swallow the cost and exchange rate ($1783 Canadian for the 2 doors, install kit and shipping, plus there will be duty on top of that)

Anyone have a source for Tinted Lexan in Canada ? Found a few places online in the USA but shipping is always $300+ for $100 sheet.

Thumbs up Re: Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Very nice
    btw the 80 hp doesn't need a very big battery, I am running a motobatt MBTX 12U. It is more than big enough.
    I like your location for the fuel cock. I may copy that

Started replacing the wiring today.

All new power and ground cables will be going to a central bus bar.

Replacing the main power lines from the battery with some nice WindyNation 4 AWG Silicone wire. Great wire (Overkill yeah maybe) Solid copper strands (not tinned) #4 battery and welding wire. Very flexible !

IMG_2858.jpg

Side by side with the original 15 + year old wire, some of the protective sheaths is starting to come off the original stuff and is corroded aluminum wire.

IMG_2859.jpg

Will be replace all the wires to the starter and engine ground as well

Following along. Beautiful Series IV. Glad to see it being restored to a flight worthy status.
    Aluminum wire and corroded to boot. Wow. Bet your happy to see all that hit the trash can! I like welding wire as well - copper and very flexible.
    I still have a lot of tinned wire that's left over from my yacht repair business so its being "repurposed" So many electrical problems I solved back in the day due to faulty grounds. Salt water didn't help...
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Parts are starting to arrive and get installed into the aircraft

Power and ground distribution blocks installed. The Large "lugs" in the foreground to the right is Power (red) and Ground (black) in from the battery, these are toggled via the master switch and relay located near the battery.

The wires leading threw the fire wall go to the starter relay +, and engine block -

The distribution block (aft and left) are the bus bars: one for central ground - (the rearmost), and Power + which will be wired from the ACC via the Key switch (Not connected at this time)

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.41.27 PM.png

Wires from battery and relay. Green will go to "Master Switch" (Battery still needs to be replaced, so the battery box cover is not yet on, nor is the battery strapped in)
    Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.55.04 PM.png

Once my Cleco's arrive I will be tackling the windshield

Smoke grey tinted lexan .118 (Hoping with some heat and carefully forming I can get this to install and NOT crack) I couldn't find tinted lexan here in Canada at any thinner thickness (I know your suppose to use .060 or 0.93)

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 3.00.17 PM.png

Anyone have a template for the wing root cutout or tips. I don't want to use my old windshield as a template since is was a bit of a hack job.