Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Default Re: Mike's Kitfox IV rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm intrigued as to the purpose of the the diode?
    "The diode acts as a surge absorber or one way gate. Anytime you turn the power off an inductive load (coil, motor, solenoid, etc) the collapse of the magnetic field creates a voltage spike of opposite polarity to the voltage applied"

Basically it prevents arcing on the key and or toggle switche(s), The inside of the relays use a magnetic field to open the contacts, when turned off, this magnetic fields collapses and creates a massive reverse spike in power (Often many times greater than the forward voltage) The diode is basically a one way valve for power.

If you've ever seen burned or melted contacts on the key or toggle switch, it because a diode wasn't used. The reverse spike can often times fry sensitive equipment.

For the $3.00 it costs to install it's a worthwhile precaution to take
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-30-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Most of the Corporate jets I worked on had diodes on the back of all the switches.

Any time you have an electromagnetic coil (pretty much any relay or "solenoid" relay) it is good practice to use a diode - usually at the coil as shown by Mike. Sometimes it may be more convenient to locate them at the switch(es), but is usually done at the relay or contactor on our aircraft. As he said, this is to protect the switch contacts controlling that relay from the momentary reverse voltage spike when the magnetic field collapses. That can create a pretty good arc which can be very hard on contacts.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks, I have learnt something today.

Does this madness ever end ? =) All these wires will eventually be cleaned up.

Everything is numbered with network cabling tape. (Previous life) I really like this tape, sticks like crazy (Almost like hockey tape or skin tape) numbers don't wear off easily, oil and gas resistant and cheap. I number things in Groups. 30's Radio, 20's: Ignition, 1-19 Accessories kinda a thing

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.58.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.59.23 PM.jpg

On my 999th template it feels like. Couple more adjustments and it should be good for CNC. Carbon fibre background with white lettering will be the end result:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 11.01.51 PM.jpg

need a tad bit more space for the circuit breakers.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 11.00.12 PM.jpg

And guys! The shielding wire DOESN'T get used in the circuit, it instead gets it's own independent ground (On one end only) the design of the shield is to shunt all RF noise back to ground so it is not picked up by the radio,

Here's an example for the Mic and Headset wires, Green wires are soldered onto the shield and connected to a separate ground.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 11.08.12 PM.png

The independent radio ground, all the shielding gets connected here and than goes back to the central ground buss.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 11.12.12 PM.png

1" Heat Shrink tubing over the control stick.
    Spank Shorty Grips (they are like the lizard grip's that are so popular)
    LED PPT. with 3D Printed adapter

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.31.14 PM.jpg

Powered up to test.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.31.39 PM.jpg

The 3D printed adapter can be found here:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783281

However he sells the entire kit cheaper than I could find JUST the buttons. Comes with wiring guide, printed instructions, connectors, plus fast shipping, and lots of colour choices
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/153736492549?ul_noapp=true

Only tip I have when covering the stick with the heat shrink tubing is do the centre of the stick first, than work your way out each end, you will need to pull the wrinkles out at the bends and shrink, pull a little more, shrink, pull shrink.
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 12-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Very nice work. 👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Another mile stone accomplished. Windshield cut and fit

I have been putting off installing the windshield for weeks now. It honestly wasn't all that hard but pretty time consuming. Traced out the outline of the old windshield and added about an 1 1/2 on all sides, than started measuring and trimming. Original windshield was installed cock eyed, and was way off.. (thank goodness I added extra material and was able to compensate) also glad I didn't reuse his original holes.

I can see now why the old windshield cracked he had the whole thing off centre by quite a bit, and forced it straight by the window pillows, I noticed his error when I was measuring to cut out around the wing spar, things just didn't line up left to right.

Rounded all the edges and sanded smooth, I now have a love hate relationship with clecos must have had this lexan off 15+ times to adjust and trim,

This is .118 Smoked Grey Lexan (Only lexan in tinted colours I could find here in Canada) It's a little thicker than recommend but seems to be working very well so for. Purchased from Polymershapes Distribution Canada I dealt with Roberto: rfernandez@polymershapes.com Cost was $145.00 Canadian for a 48 x 96 inch sheet with $35 Shipping to my door.

Original rough cut and layout

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.38.07 PM.png

Spar cutout.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.38.19 PM.jpg

Close up. I than rounded and fitted, and rounded and fitted. repeating until perfect

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.38.30 PM.png

Almost final fit. will install the windshield with Riv Nuts instead of rivets.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.38.43 PM.jpg

Turtle deck is next, Just need to purchase the proper Rivets.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.57.03 PM.png