Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question Aerodynamic troubles during a test flight with a Kitfox3

Default Re: Question Aerodynamic troubles during a test flight with a Kitfox3

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I'm not sure if the Kitfox 3 is the same, but a Kitfox 4 has different bolt holes on the front of the horizontal stabilizer for setting the incidence on the stabilizer. I would check that out as well if you have to use a lot of forward or rear stick to stay in level flight. Here is a picture of my Kitfox 4 project horizontal stabilizer forward mounting point. JImChuk
    Thank you JImChuk for these iformations and the photo, I will check it.
    I am looking for the manual of Kitfox3, where can I find these technical data?

Best regards
    ChrisFlyer

I'm not sure if the Kitfox 3 is the same, but a Kitfox 4 has different bolt holes on the front of the horizontal stabilizer for setting the incidence on the stabilizer. I would check that out as well if you have to use a lot of forward or rear stick to stay in level flight. Here is a picture of my Kitfox 4 project horizontal stabilizer forward mounting point. JImChuk
    Hi JImChuk,

Sorry but I don't sse on the photo the bolt holes you talk. Could you please show it more precisely?
    Other, do you know were I could find kitfox3 technical manual?

Best regards
    ChrisFlyer

Here is another picture of the Kitfox 4 fuselage, laying on it's side. The 4 holes show fairly well on the front horizontal stabilizer attachment fitting. That fitting is the triangle shaped fitting below and to the front of the verticle stabilizer when the fuselage is sitting right side up. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKitfox View Post
    Thanks Paul for your answer and solutions,
    I do not have the pattern and diagram of model 3, can you tell me where to find them.I unfortunately did not have much information with this device.
    We will follow your advice and review the orders to achieve this minimum free play.
    An idea also on the problem of centering or balance when no element has been modified and weight displaced?

An other question: what is approximatly the take off length with the Rotax582 on clean grass track?
    If we success to make fly this machine correctly, I would like to use it on track of 400meter (1200ft). Our take-off test seemed longer.
    Here is a section from the build manual covering the controls. I believe everyone who owns one of these planes would benefit greatly from having a full copy of the build manual.

Takeoff distance is a function of weight and your engine/prop combination. For what you're doing now, I would recommend flying lighter with no passenger and only a safe amount of fuel. My empty weight is around 575 pounds. Solo, I take off of turf in less than 300 feet. Landing is then a function of your approach speed. There's no need to push the envelope while you're getting used to the plane, so make sure you have plenty of field to work with. What is your empty weight?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Here is another picture of the Kitfox 4 fuselage, laying on it's side. The 4 holes show fairly well on the front horizontal stabilizer attachment fitting. That fitting is the triangle shaped fitting below and to the front of the verticle stabilizer when the fuselage is sitting right side up. JImChuk
    Ok, Isee now,
    In what position is yours set? Which hole?
    Do you have the technical manual, I have no documents or manuals?
    Thanks,
    ChrisFlyer

I looked in my manual, and see that the builder drills these holes. (read step 3) My plane is still a project, so I can't tell you what hole it should be in. Maybe someone else can chime in on what their location is. Also, remember, this is for a Kitfox 4, and may not apply to a Kitfox 3. I don't have a manual for a Kitfox 3 to compare. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I looked in my manual, and see that the builder drills these holes. (read step 3) My plane is still a project, so I can't tell you what hole it should be in. Maybe someone else can chime in on what their location is. Also, remember, this is for a Kitfox 4, and may not apply to a Kitfox 3. I don't have a manual for a Kitfox 3 to compare. JImChuk
    Thanks JIm for these informations.
    ChrisFlyer

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Here is a section from the build manual covering the controls. I believe everyone who owns one of these planes would benefit greatly from having a full copy of the build manual.

Takeoff distance is a function of weight and your engine/prop combination. For what you're doing now, I would recommend flying lighter with no passenger and only a safe amount of fuel. My empty weight is around 575 pounds. Solo, I take off of turf in less than 300 feet. Landing is then a function of your approach speed. There's no need to push the envelope while you're getting used to the plane, so make sure you have plenty of field to work with. What is your empty weight?
    Thanks for this answer and all the informations you give. Which weight are you talking about?
    I am 80kg and the other pilot 62kg.
    Do you know where I could find Technical information and manuel about Kitfox3?
    ChrisFlyer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKitfox View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for your answer.
    In our case, no cable break, but can actually be a little play in the flappers. One of the causes of the beginning in fluttering.
    I mean cellule (all the part exept wings). But the pilot with me told me that the wings had flutted also. The joystick did not move to be effective during
    the fluttering but it was very hard to control the plane to land. Even with very experienced test pilot on the command (a friend, not me !!)
    During the landing, out of tight corner very short the aircraft had a tendency to want to dive left, it was necessary to find a compromise
    of flight with the handle very left and a weak response of the controls We also found after the flight that the joystick must be very forward on neutral position and the elevator lowered to stay level.
    So there is a problem of back centering that we do not explain.
    Best regards
    Did the builder install the nylon blocks in the turtle deck area? They support the inner flaperons
    where they pass thru. If they are not there I would guess you might end up with flight problems like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xengineguy View Post
    Did the builder install the nylon blocks in the turtle deck area? They support the inner flaperons
    where they pass thru. If they are not there I would guess you might end up with flight problems like you describe.
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I don't understand what do you mean by: " in the turtle deck area?" Would you please send me the photon or a draw of this part?
    Best regards
    ChrisFlyer