Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: new panel

Default new panel

I did not build my Kitfox but want to replace my panel with a completly new one. Dynon D180, Garmin SL-40 com and GTX 327 transponder, PM1000 intercom. The complex and mass of wires has me wondering if I want to even try it myself. Can anyone recommend a good book? "Wiring for Dummies" maybe. Is it possible to keep the wiring simple or is that asking to much?I would take all that is there now out and start over....HELP

Default Re: new panel

probably the most information in one place is the bob nuckholl book " the aeroelectric connection" available from b and c specialty products . www.bandc.info . good luck with the panel . before i was done with mine i had made three . one out of plastic so i could locate where everyting would fit and two out of metal . the first metal one was to find out what was the best way to cut out the openings . it didnt turn out too bad
    chuck
    40kf
    yelm, wa

I have just wired a panel with similar stuff, I think the wiring can be kept "relatively" simple. One simplification is to use the intercom in the SL40, also Dynon has just introduced their new systems which could further reduce the wiring. I bought the wiring harness from Dynon which makes the job allot easier. NEED to get a good stripper, ratchet crimper and a pin crimper, should be fun.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Take a look at a company called Approach Systems http://www.approachfaststack.com/index.html. I know one of the guys on the list here used this company and he loves it. In a nutshell...you tell these guys what your cockpit components will be and they build you a custom interface box with pre-made cables. It's all plug and play.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Take a look at Vertical Power Systems for a very advanced but not complicated way to rewire.

All your wiring goes to a single control unit that is linked by a ribbon cable to an 8-switch box mounted in the panel.
    You use built-in software to group the items you want assigned to each switch in the control head. You can group and re-group when you wish simply using the software. There are no panel-mounted circuit-breakers - they're all built in to the control unit that sits on the firewall.

I'm currently working with John McBean and his staff at Kitfox to wire the least expensive VP system, the VP-50, into my Model IV Speedster. The VP-50 is perfectly scaled for a Kitfox.

Check out our sponsor Stein Air also. They do really complicated panels for lots of RV's and should be able to handle a Kitfox panel with ease.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

thanks for all the ideas. I am checking into all of them. The possibilities are endless. Keep the ideas coming and will keep you posted as I move forward. Thanks