Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: hangar size vs runway length?

Default hangar size vs runway length?

I know, crazy question right? I live on a 1800ft grass strip and my Kitfox lives folded up in my very crowded barn. I want to build a pole barn style hangar, low budget, so I can keep the airplane unfolded and ready to go all year. But I hope to not live here forever, so I'm thinking resale value of the property. I want to build the hangar large enough for something bigger than the kitfox if that's what the new owner may already be flying. I want the hangar to be a bonus, not a burden. So what's the largest airplane you can imagine going in and out on 1800' of grass in the midwest summer? Cessna 172?

Default Re: hangar size vs runway length?

Almost any SE Cessna could land there including the Caravan if there aren't any obstacles. A Quest Kodiak could land there too .

A 30' deep x 40' wide hangar should hold almost any small SE airplane that could land there. You could go a little smaller, if you just want to do the Kitfox 25' x 35' would be enough, but you wouldn't get many other planes in there.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Have my own strip also and built my hangar 50x56...and it is NOT big enough. The issue with a hangar is, it seems to be a great place to store other toys also. Build it as big as you can afford. I wouldn't build less than say 40-50 wide since anything smaller will limit the type of door you can use. Most single engine planes can be easily moved in and out of a 40' wide door, much smaller and it can be more difficult to get the plane in and out if the wing span is much bigger than 30'+.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 11-08-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelt my werds wrong

40x30 and 40x40 are the common "small" hangar sizes. Add extra width based on the type of door you intend to install. Make sure it is tall enough for an RV and you'll have a great resale value no matter what hobby the next owner has.

The 1947 PA12 160hp, i have is just under 37' wing tip to tip, my open hanger here is 50' wide, 30' deep, makes it nice to get plane in and out weither u drag it in/out or drive it in/out. Sure nice to have room.
    Right now i have the PA12 and 6 fullsize old hotrods parked in there for winter, and could get one or two more if i tried.
    Last edited by buckchop; 11-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.