Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: VHF antenna

Default VHF antenna

Have the MGL V6 VHF radio in my model 7 and using the welded in attach point just aft of the turtle deck. Will receive at a good distance but transmission seems to be poor at about 20-25 miles. Anybody have any luck with the Advanced Aircraft Electronics (AAE) flat strap antenna? Could I possibly need a ground plane on my existing antenna rather than being grounded to the fuselage. N. Idaho

Default Re: VHF antenna

I had the same issues with my microair comm when I started flying my Series 5 in the olden days. Antenna in the same location as yours. Added spoked 1/2" wide aluminum strips for a ground plane and problem solved . It would be worth a try on yours. bruce N199CL

Jeff - you might want to verify with an Ohm meter (that will measure milliohms) before doing anything else (especially if it cost more money) that you do have excellent electrical continuity between the antenna base and the welded plate. Please let us know what you end up doing to get the problem solved. BTW, the transmit and receive distances you mentioned, are they all air-to-air events? Cheers, Darrel

I added a ground plane beneath the antenna located aft of the turtle deck and it definitely increased my reach (receive and transmit) by at least 5 NM. That suggestion came from John McBean when I chatted with him about radio issues early on in Phase I.

BobRS
    KF SS7 N104Y, Rotax 914
    Albuquerque, NM