Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: J B Weld

Default J B Weld

Is JB Weld Hysol by another name? Used JB for a non aircraft project and recognized the white material as well as the black, which mixed to the gray color and consistency of Hysol. Set up hard like Hysol as well. If one needed a small amount is this the same and or safe substitute. Jetjock

Default Re: J B Weld

Try to find performance data for JB-Weld. There isn't much. Whereas Hysol has this:

https://krayden.com/technical-data-s...ysol_9460_tds/

What you are asking for is to have someone on an internet forum say that it is OK to use JB-Weld in place of Hysol for an unnamed application on your homebuilt airplane.

I have used JB-Weld on lots and lots of things including on my newly purchased Kitfox IV, but I haven't used it on anything of structural significance. You will have to decide for yourself, but I wouldn't use it for anything really structural.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: J B Weld

There are MANY common epoxies available that may have the apparent consistency and color as the 9460, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as far as the possible various structural and other characteristics are concerned. I agree with John. To answer your question- no, JB Weld is not 9460 Hysol, and the name "Hysol" encompasses a whole family of different specific formulations.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime