Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Default operating a 912ul on ethanol

it appears that our known source of alcohol free mogas has finally dryed up in the south puget sound area . was wondering how the 912ul will run on ethanol and what other 912 operators were doing .

cap
    40kf
    yelm, wa

Default Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Per Lockwood and LEAF (last summer at Airventure) the 10% ethanol purchased for road vehicles is fine in the 912 UL and ULS, given that the ULS is getting it's needed 93 octane (UL only needs 87 octane).

The problem is not the engine, it's the fuel system in the airframe. The ethanol can cause damage to the fiberglass tanks in a Kitfox, causing them to disintegrate allowing material from the tanks to clog filters and potentially cause damage to the engine.

We still have it good here, our moronic government has not yet mandated the use of this garbage in all Wisconsin fuel stations. There are still several stations in my area that have ethanol free fuel. (I'm lucky, for now...)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I've been runing for about 3 years on the stuff and no problems. I think the biggest thing is to keep fresh fuel in the tanks. I fly a lot, but this year the fox only got 140hrs on her. The RV got so far 210hrs. I know I'm a flying fool. But I feel if you are going to do this, make sure you schedule the fuel and only put in what your going to burn and watch how long the fuel is in the tanks. Right now I have about 8gals of fuel in each tank. I put this in about a week ago. If this weather holds up, 10degrees average, well I'm just going to have to drain the fuel. I won't fly the fox below 35 degrees, the RV is much more comfortable. I went flying the RV yesterday in 6degrees, nice and warm, better than my truck. So guess what happens to the fox, it sits. With that, the fuel can get old. No thanks, that can happen real fast. I have an old tank from the 90's and one from 2005, both are figerglass, I don't have problems with either one. I think having fresh fuel and 10percent alki is the key, make sure you don't have more than 10percent and use premium if it's a 912s. One last thing, when using alki fuel, the exhaust will look real black. Is happening to my truck as well. Darn junk.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

thanks guys for the tips and info . for washington it seems "as goes california so goes washington " so the gas ****s have taken over already .
    since 40kf is a really early model IV and partially completed when i acquired her so i had no say in fuel tanks . she has both 6 gal tanks which after sloshing holds 4.9 gal in one side and 5.1 gal in the other . the 10 gal max fuel load has pretty much limited my x country flying as there arent too many airports that have mo gas in my area and i really didnt want to use much 100ll . i did the sloshing and what a job after the tank is installed and the wing is covered . i have decided to replace at least the right tank this winter with the 13 gal tank . weve had some really cold, clear days the past week west of the cascades . some nice smooth flying but the left leg and foot sure gets cold . since aug 25 when 40kf first flew ive put 80+ hours on her and was trying for 100 before the end of the year but dont think ill make it .
    thanks again
    cap01
    40kf
    yelm wa

Unfortunately the EPA is considering raising the alcohol allowed to 15%. The article I read said they would have a decision by mid 2010. More to think about if they do so.

Rich

Hey there 40kf, the Chevron station off Ruddle rd and Yelm Hwy still has alcohol free super. I just bought some today. I recently changed my tanks to 13 gal and it was a chore although with 26 gal fuel I can fly forever. I had to relocate the drag tubes and recover the entire wing.

Where in Yelm are you located? I'm over here in Oly on Hoskins ( 44T )

Scott

scott , thanks for the tip on the chevron station . ill have to round up my gas cans and head over there tomorrow . we were getting alcahol free gas over on fones road across from the home depot. i think its an associated petro card lock place . they just recently put the stickers on their pumps about being 10% but i havent tested it .
    i keep 40kf at the flying b but i live on the east side of lawrence lake . in fact i think you ran into my friend from the flying b up at jefferson co a month or so ago . he has a dark green kitfox speedster . he had mentioned talking to someone from hoskins that had changed tanks on his kitfox .
    we just flew by hoskins today , went up to bremerton for lunch . sneak along olympia airspace and the restricted area . when you operate from hoskins , do you call olympia ? hoskins is an interesting place , does anyone mind if wed drop in sometime so we can say weve been there ?
    i have looked into what it will take to change the tank and your correct it looks like a chore but will be worth it . there is a dope and rag guru across the runway at flying b that thinks well be able to do it without recovering the whole wing .
    chuck pierce
    40kf
    yelm wa

Chuck, my neighbors are all bummed out about the Fones RD station. They used to get 87 from them. I guess they just put the stickers on recently. I always use 92 in my KF and have always gotten it from the Chevron station. That's a nice looking fox your friend has. I'm out your way frequently. I thought I saw a KF today flying around just east of Flying B. Was that you?

You can sneak in and out of Hoskins without talking to Oly but I usually talk to the tower and let them know my intentions. Technically, we are within their airspace. I just tell them if I'm leaving or arriving.

We get a fair amount of transient traffic here and your more than welcome to drop in anytime. Usually most takeoff to the west and land to the east if possible. I'm about 1/2 way down, the hangar with the backhoe parked in front.

Scott

scott , could have been us returning from bremerton probably around 1400 or a little later . 40kf is white with red wing tips and rudder . i did see a yellow plane heading east on the east side of flying b . the green speedster turned out really nice , only thing is its really hard to see air to air . when ever we go anyplace he usually follows me since i loose sight of him pretty quick even with strobes on . i accumulated a few hours in the green one and made 10-15 landings in it before the first flight of 40kf . really help to make the first flight uneventful .
    well have to drop in sometime when we get a good day
    thanks
    chuck pierce
    40kf
    yelm, wa

Thumbs up Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Scott and Chuck,
    I checked for pics of 40kf and, to my disappointment, I found none. I'm sure you both are proud of your airplanes and we'd all like to see them if you could post some pics. Yeah, I know, I've yet to build mine but ... I still like to drool over other Kitfox's until the rest of us on this site can get ours built! Thanks guys! Oh, by the way...Ever been to the good side of Washington? I grew up in Wenatchee, raised, graduated High School, and enlisted in the Marine Corps there. Since have moved all over the US and now in Tx and I'm flying helicopters, for now!! Anyhow...let's see some photos, yeah?

Chris
    Last edited by Pilot4Life; 12-11-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!