Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Default Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

one more thing, how do you know the rpm is correct. Find one of those units that you point at the prop and check the rpm. You might be supprised at the results. Once you know that, set the idle to no faster than 1800, why you'll float down the runway with too high idle. nothing worse than on touch down saying to yourself, wooooo silver.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

1800 RPM , I thought I was doing good to get it to 2000 RPM. I guess I need to slow her down a bit more!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I must admit trying to land it a 2500+ RPM was a little challenging!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I set mine closer to 1500 in order to descend, much less land.

After landing and slowing down, I increase throttle position to get the 1800-2000 for smooth running.

BUT, my engine is the 80 hp with lower compression which may (will?) behave differently...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Ok, this is what I have. THe RPM is set for 500. YUP, I don't land at that rpm, But it sure is nice to pull the throttle all the way back on decent and slow that airplane down, Flat prop and low rpm means I can do an incredable short approach, no flaps, with my airplane. I also have found a compression stop on the engine when starting so I pull the throttle all the way back and crank it until it smooths out and push the throttle in a little and it starts right up with no kick and nice and smooth. This usually takes about 2seconds at throttle back. On shut down I hit both mags off and pull the throttle back and it shuts off with no shudder, nice and smooth. What I did to set this is just turn both idle screws to the left 1/2 turn and it put it right on the money. If you just want to lower your idle a couple hun rpm just turn it to the left maybe about 1/16 on both and you should get. Just do them both the same. I am so use to my rpm that just as I'm rounding out to land I'm putting just a smidge of throttle in to keep the rpm at a high enough rpm to keep it running smooth. I have let the rpm go way down to the 500 and my engine still runs pretty smooth. I guess the prop balance and proper carb balance has done wonders for my engine.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hello

I am rebuilding a 1991 KF 3 and it has welded aluminium wingtanks
    Did they use those days internal coatings?
    Here in europe there comes ethanol in the fuel more and more and avgas is in a few years totaly forbidden ,and now very expensive 15$ per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I set mine closer to 1500 in order to descend, much less land.

After landing and slowing down, I increase throttle position to get the 1800-2000 for smooth running.

BUT, my engine is the 80 hp with lower compression which may (will?) behave differently...
    Well I got it down to 1800 RPM, now I need to talk to Steve, and then go flying!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

steve here, go ahead and talk.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Well, I took off from work early today. I Called Advance Flight Systems to resolve figure out how to update the Maintenance logs on the Flight System. Once I did that I took 703KA out of the hanger and started the warm up. It definitely runs good. I can cut the throttle and get the RPM to about 1750RPM. Once she was all warmed up to about 100 Deg, I taxied out to go do the run up. I got to the end of the Taxi way it was 55 Degrees outside, and it was still running only about 107 Degrees, I let a couple of the planes that were queued up go ahead of me while I waited for 120 Degrees. Two Bonanzas, 3 Cessnas, 1 RV, etc, and I finally got to go. Man was the pattern busy, and they were all doing touch and goes. I taxied out to Runway 35, pushed the throttle to the panel, and away we went. I was climbing out in short order. As I clambered two additional planes entered the pattern. I turned Cross Wind, then turned flying down down Wind, and another Bonanza squawks and said he's going to squeeze into the pattern. As he finishes his call, *****in' Betty (the Advanced Flight Systems voice) says Exhaust Gas Temperature Warning. I look down and the EGT Temp is pegged. Just then, I announce that I am turning base, as one of the Bonanza pilots squawks something, and *****in' Betty Squawks at me again, I announce I have a problem, with a snide remark from one of the Bonanza Pilots. As I flair to land the temp goes back to normal. I guess, I get to clean some Exhaust Gas Temp Senors, and try again tomorrow. Regardless, I got to at least fly her today, and it is a lot easier to land her when the RPM is 1900 RPM versus 2500RPM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

when it comes to the 912, the egt can go out the window. As long as the engine runs good, who cares. I have had so many problems with probs in these that I don't care anymore what that sensor reads. Oh and a bad sensor generally goes down in temp not up. sounds like a wire issue.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop