Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Default Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Paul, did you remove, disassemble and clean the carbs after finding the BSS? If not I strongly recommend doing so. I removed and cleaned every part of my carbs and the BSS was everywhere. They work flawlessly now.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    paul , maybe youve seen this picture already but this is what i got out of the tank doing the three rinses . the tank wasnt installed yet so it wasnt too bad . if i had to do it on the airplane , id probably remove the finger filter and install a barbed fitting with a hose . this crap would never get past the filter . i havent had a chance to play with the acetone i did the rinse with yet but it smells like resin . good luck .
    Just to add more to the conversation - I recently received a new set of tanks for my model 4. I did the rinse last week and got a lot of those flakes as well. I think the flakes are resin(uncured) that dropped down during the joining process and fell onto a previously cured part(like the baffles) that had mold release on it. The acetone rinse then removed the mold release and worked its way under the newly cured drops of resin and lifted them as flakes. After all of my rinses i filled my tanks with water several times and released the water quickly and the flakes flushed through. What got stuck in the drain holes I just pulled through with tweezers.

Just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Paul, did you remove, disassemble and clean the carbs after finding the BSS? If not I strongly recommend doing so. I removed and cleaned every part of my carbs and the BSS was everywhere. They work flawlessly now.
    That is next! I plan on doing that over then next couple of weeks!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

FYI, Safety Recommendation. As, I have said in previous postings. I had to do the Acetone (Dance) rinse of my wing tanks. I pulled my sight gauge hoses, to replace them since they got a through rinse as well. I replaced both sight gauges and the clear vent hoses. FYI, I was surprised with the sight gauge hoses. The hose was a blistered, where the Copper wire touches the hose at the bottom bend, and there were hireling cracks/crazing of the hose. I plan on taking some pictures of the hoses this week to post. I was surprised how discolored they actually were. So if you flush your wing tanks with Acetone check the Hoses.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Oop I'm not a good Spiller It's Hairline
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    Thanks for the tip, I did notice that the site gauge one my right tanks was a little discolored at the bottom of the tube. I will give it a close inspection next time I am up at the hangar.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal

Let US know what you find. I truly was shocked how bad my sight gauges were!

Paul Zimm
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I had said I would get some photos of the sight gauges Discolored, Blister, Cracks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Really good call replacing those Paul. Avoided fuel spilling down your shoulders during flight is a pretty good thing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It would not have taken long for those sight gauges to start leaking! I was truly surprised at the Cracks.

The butterfly valve, and the choke were still sticking so I finally got up the nerve to pull both Carbs. I took them home to clean them up. I sprayed sprayed down one with Carb Cleaner, Carb Side, and Intake Manifold side, slid the slider, actuating the throttle, actuating the choke, and in the ports, and the choke port. If there was an opening I sprayed in Choke cleaner. I poored it all out and spayed in Starter fluid to clean out the Carb Cleaner. Then I let it sit over night. The next morning I checked to see if anything was sticking, everything was moving freely. I did the same thing on the second Carb, now to see if it works.

Hopefully I will be flying this weekend!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas