Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Default Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Thanks, That is effectively what John McBean told me. It is good to get the same answer from two sources. Since, I have never had a plane with a Rotax before, I didn't want to risk damage to the exhaust valves, or the heads. So, on base, and it was still squawking, I just declared an emergency, and landed it. It was already getting late, the sun was setting, and I knew it had to be a short pattern flight to test it out. I'll try again today to see if it was just burning off the C _ _ _ , from sitting so long!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

not a problem, check your connections. you might want to disconnect the egt sensor and check the dynon, I think it goes max when disconnected. if so than you know were to start on your checks.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Well I think I have my problems resolved. I've put about 15 hours on the plane in the last couple of weeks. Although the EGT get up there, it is only when flying at low altitude in the patter, or flying at about 500 AGL or 900 feet to about 1500 ft. Once I get to 2500 or 3500 feet everything seems to be fine. I replaced the plugs, visually they look to be burning fine. I must admit, balancing the carbs made her run a heck of a lot better, and I can cut the throttle to about 1800 without much problem. I went and flew the pattern today for a couple of Take Off & Landings and *****in betty only squeaked at me once, the winds were pushing 20 to 25, so it was kind of a rough ride. The good news is now I feel comfortable this issue is behind me!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thumbs down Re: operating a 912ul on ethanol

Well I flew from Dallas to Weyers Cave VA, in June, to take Rotax Maintenance class. It is good that I can now legally,according to Rotax, do my maintenance as owner operator on my own plane. I was planning on taking the LSRM training but the Rock Pit wouldn't allow me tome off to take off 4 consecutive weeks off. I took the class at blue Ridge Community College, Dean from Lockwood taught the class. In flying from Dallas to Weyers Cave, it seemed the idle had creeped back up to 2000 RPM, and my exhaust gas temp was running hot, now the temps in the south has been a little warmer. We used the 703KA, to change oil, tune up, and set carbs. I explained to Dean setting the idle to 1450 RPM was going to be a challenge, it turned out to be a saga, I'll explain that later. End item Dean recommended I pull the carbs, vand check them. We pulled the bowls, and found a nice thick coating of epoxy in the. Sent them to Lockwood for a rebuild. Reinstalled, balance and got them to idle at 1600. The rebuild also resolved by EGT problem. I'll write more later and post some pictures. Oh I forgot to mention, another header tank leak while flying back to Dallas.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas