Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912ULS, or 912IS or?

Default Re: 912ULS, or 912IS or?

I talked with Hal Stockman because I am leaning towards the 912is and was thinking more hp someday and he said the zipper big bore kits will go right on the 912is . Nothing else has to be done cause the computer compensates the fuel need via the oxygen sensor . So no problem getting more hp according to him. This is just info, I do not push either engine to anyone but no way am I having carbs when I can have fuel injection. JmO

my point in drawing this out (yes i have a spreadsheet... yes i am trying to solve this myself right now) is that the reverse of all this is NOT true. you can NOT start with a 912iS and upgrade to 125 hp. there just isn't a way to get there. I think. Can someone check me on that? that's my sticky wicket with the 912iS -- it seems un-up-gradable. i don't see anyone selling larger jugs, i don't see any turbo kits out there for it ------ it seems like once you go 912iS then that's where you're at. you get a great engine, modern monitoring, great fuel, easy starts, ALL that .... but if you want more than 100 horses ... well ...

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Default Re: 912ULS, or 912IS or?

I have a Flight Design CTLS with a 912ULS. Works just fine and no complaints.
    However, I'm building an S7 SS and will be putting in a 915iS, Airmaster prop.
    There is no substitute for power, the fuel injection is simplicity and it has the Rotax warranty.
    Sure, there may be some teething pains but Rotax has been pretty darn good about backing up their product.(from my A&P who is the guy for Rotax in my area)
    It is more money for the fuel injection and larger engine but I just know that if I didn't use that engine I would always regret it.