Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Planning question...

Default Planning question...

It looks to me that once the rudder pedals are installed and the rudder cables are routed and cut to length, the floorboards and rudder pedals then need to come back out for covering and painting, correct? It looks like I won't be able to wrap the fabric around the forward tubes if the pedals and floor boards are installed. I know the fabric doesn't come all the way forward, but I think the installed floorboards would hinder covering.

Also, any thoughts on where to mount the com antenna? I know there is a plate welded to the frame behind the aft window, but the previous builder of my kit had the antenna mounted on the bottom of the plane on one of those two plates welded to the bottom. I think it looks better on the bottom, but I'm just worried about the antenna hitting something should I ever do some back country flying.

THanks...
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer | Kitfox | Mooney M20C

Default Re: Planning question...

After installing the rudder pedals I just tied them out of the way to facilitate covering.

http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/images/643.jpg

I hope this helps.

Mark,

You got it - the pedals, etc. need to be out of the way and Tom's procedure is right on the money. Seen others done the same way and that takes care of it.

On the antenna question, I am reluctant to suggest where to put the com antenna alone because a person needs to plan for all of the antennas on board and the spacing requirements that each device has for it's antenna from other antennas. Com, ELT, ADS-B, Nav GPS antenna, ADS-B WAAS antenna all have minimum spacing from other antennas and with a number of antennas on a kitfox the available acerage to mount them can get a bit tight. Shadowing by the gear assembly on a trigear is a consideration also.

On the antennas, I'd check the requirements for all that will be on the plane for spacing before deciding on a location for the com antenna.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave that's a good point about antenna spacing. I will need a transponder and ADS-B antenna on the bottom, so I think I just may have to mount the antenna on the top.

Just for an interesting piece of info, years ago when I was building my RANS S-6S my buddy Steve was building his Kitfox. He also owned a small biz called Sta-Lite Aviation and he made comm antennas and sold them through Wag-Aero. These antennas did not require any kind of ground plane so he mounted it in the vertical stab of his Kitfox. He made one for me and I also mounted it in the tail of my S-6. It was completely unseen and obviously created zero additional parasite drag. Unfortunately he no longer makes antennas! But the antennas worked flawlessly. I wish I could still get one so I could mount it in the tail again!
    Mark Pensenstadler

Mark,

Spruce sells an antenna that sounds like the one you described: ADVANCED AIRCRAFT ELECTRONICS HIGH GAIN ANTENNA VHF-5
    A few of us on the forum have installed them hidden in the vertical tail fin. It doesn't need a ground plane.

IMG_6571.jpg
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 10-28-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Another internal com antenna that Spruce sells, the SA-006.

20190803_163909[1].jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Birdseyeview, I'm wondering how you will remove and re-intall the horizontal stab with that antenna going through the center? Is the antenna flexible so you can bend it out of the way?
    Mark Pensenstadler

The antenna in the photo is a thin fiberglass strip that is very flexible and bends out of the way when removing the HS. I comes shipped in a roll. This picture isn't the latest since it doesn't show another short piece of thin wood glued to the frame below the HS that I velcro the loose end of the antennna to in order to keep it from flopping around too much.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS