Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Internal Corrosion

Default Internal Corrosion

I've got a zero time 912ULS that been in the crate for over a decade and its never been removed from its sealed plastic bag. Is there a way to check for internal corrosion without pulling off a jug? Possibly via a borescope? What are the key parts I should replace before I try to start it for the first time?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Internal Corrosion

If it's a 0-time factory new situation, there's nothing to worry about.

If it's a used engine and has not been sitting out in the weather, still nothing to worry about.

912 engines are not like "traditional" aircraft engines. The clearances are very tight and not prone to internal corrosion.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss his concern.

There are rubber parts, including seals and o-rings, on and in the engine. I’d want those checked and most likely changed before I fired it up. I’d also comply with any service bulletins and make darn sure you pre oil the engine before firing it up.

I’d call Lockwood or CPS and double check with them. It’s what they do 24/7.

I have an engine that sat under similar circumstances, I now have >500 hrs on it but did have a compression issue caused by some pitting on the valves. I believe this corrosion occurred while in storage for 7-8 yrs.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive