Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor install

Default Re: MGL EMS-2 Blaze Engine monitor install

Exactly what I needed. Thank you.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks again. Works perfectly.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

You are welcome Lowell , glad you got it worked out, I know that flashing screen was driving me nuts. If someone needs to use those extra pages , it make sense to make it user selectable . Bruce N199CL

I installed the MGL on my model V with Lycoming o-290. Mounted the RDAC on the engine side of the firewall as per the documentation and found that it over heats and CHT went up to 600 deg. Contacted MGL in South Africa and they told me that the RDAC has a max temp of 70 deg C which is about 158 deg F. Here in Arizona it could reach 158 without the engine running in the sun! So to fix the problem I added a cooling duct from the engine baffling to the RDAC to keep it cool and works fine in flight but still get erroneous indications if over 90 deg OAT during taxi. Im going to relocate it to the cockpit side of firewall with spacers to keep it cooler on the next conditional insp.
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

Good to know Ken, thanks for the update, haven't experienced any issues yet with mine , but thats because I live near Buffalo where its still snowing. Bruce N199CL

Hey Bruce maybe you should make some skis for your Kitfox like that Jonas Marcinko guy on Youtube. Then you can fly all year and take them of in June!
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

I do have skis Ken (not homemade though) and with a good winter here I usually take them off in mid March. By the way where exactly is you RDAC located on the firewall ? i have an IO-240 engine and mine is mounted high on the right engine side of the firewall. Also what was your first indication of the overheat and did it wreck the RDAC. just want to know what to look for, as we do get some 90 degree days during the summer. Thanks Bruce N199CL

Hi Bruce.

MY RDAC is located in same spot up high and on right side.
    The first indication was a sudden jump on all cylinder head temp to over 500 deg. One minute you
    look and all ok check later and 500+ and you gasp and say "Oh Crap , new engine is how much?" . I was doing a lot of TO and Landings, like 10 in a row. On the second time it went to over 600, I taxied to the hanger and shot it with an IR temp gauge and the cylinders read 280 on the IR gauge, MGL gauge read 500+, so now I knew it was an indication problem. I then determined it to be a heat soaking problem so I added the cooling tube to the RDAC for trouble shooting and it worked.Took 3 weeks to get answer from so the Africa, thats when they told me it was working temp limited to 158.
    After the RDAC cooled down the temp dropped very quickly to normal. Haven't had a problem after til it got even hotter here in Tucson, about 95, and It happened again only during taxi to the hanger. Doesn't seam be any damage to the RDAC, works normal when not over heated.
    Ken
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

Oh I wanted to add that So Africa gave me great response before. I don't know why it took so long. I had to send a stern follow up email before I finally got a response. Could have been Covid issue , don't know. The also refused my request for a replacement.
    Ken
    Kenz
    Kitfox V Safari
    GRT Sport 10.1
    Lycoming O-320 -160 hp

OK Ken, thanks for the detailed quick response, those high CHT's certainly would have got my attention too, and i will keep an eye out for the anamoly. A move to the cockpit side might be in order, don't know why MGL would not recommend this in the first place! I must admit I do like the engine monitor though, its been working great and is a very capable instrument. I use the lean mode to get accurate lean of peak mixtures that can save lots of fuel . Bruce N199CL