Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cargo Floor Material

Default Cargo Floor Material

Does Kitfox still make their cargo compartment floor out of fiberglass laminated Balsa Core for the 7 series?
    Judging by the pictures I've seen of the balsa core floor, since you are still able to see the Balsa Core wood grain pattern, the fiberglass layers must not be very thick?

My second hand model 5 kit came with no floor, and I thought it a good piece to save a couple bucks to build.

I've considered other materials like honeycomb aluminum, or even carbon fiber over Nomex honeycomb, but those options end up kinda pricey. I should be able to make my own Balsa Core floor for about $50-60.

Also was wondering if anyone has ever seen any damage around the holes in the floor it mounts to the air-frame with? I assume if installed correctly, the holes are more for alignment of the floor, while the cargo bag tension holds most of the weight.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Default Re: Cargo Floor Material

used the floor you speak of in my 16 year old Outback with no issues, and you are correct in your statements about the mounting tabs and cargo bag. I put a thin carpet runner over the balsa for floor protection and substituted eyebolts for the supplied hardware to give me a hole to connect a bungee to to secure baggage if necessary. Works good lasts long time and lightweight. Bruce N199CL

Default Re: Cargo Floor Material

The floor is made up of end grain balsa with a glass layer on each side. The squares are 3x3 or 4x4 can’t recall. It’s pretty stiff and light.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF