Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Runway Length

Default Runway Length

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of building a Kitfox IV Speedster - Rotax 912UL. I currently live in Illinois but will be moving to New Mexico this fall. I have 50 acres in New Mexico 2000 feet in length. The property is at 6000 foot altitude.

i have a friend that will blade a runway for me but it's a limited time offer. I can't be there before he does the work. I need to tell him how long and how wide.

I've been told that even at 6000 feet altitude that a 1000 foot runway would be enough. I know that density altitude will be an issue so I was thinking more like 1200. 30 feet wide.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Ken Davy
    N1701S

Default Re: Runway Length

my thought is as long and wide as you can. never know who might want to land and say hi. who cares what your airplane can do or you can do. It's more important to think of who might drop in on you. If you don't want anybody landing on your strip than do like I would probably do, make my driveway my landing spot.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks, good point.

Yeah, I'd find the place on the property that lets you have the longest possible. Northern New Mexico is high, warm, and really windy in the spring. 1000' with no obstacles is do-able, but you'll want to be on your game all the time. You won't have a ton of margin for hitting a downdraft or a poorly timed tail gust.

Where's your place? I'm in Los Alamos. I might be one of those guys that drops in and says hi.

Also:
    http://www.eaa691.org
    https://www.nmpilots.org/

Welcome to the neighborhood.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS