Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly fiber epoxy primer after Poly Spray?

Default Poly fiber epoxy primer after Poly Spray?

How many spray the epoxy primer after Poly Spray and before paint? Any value in that? The PF video mentions that the final paint stands out more or has a different look.

Any tips on shooting that stuff? I have read that it is harder to shoot than poly spray. Spray a very light mist coat first, then cross coat. Any tips on mixing? Looks like primer with catalyst, then thin. I will shoot with an HVLP gun.

Thanks

Scott

Default Poly fiber epoxy primer after Poly Spray?

I haven’t heard of spraying epoxy primer after poly spray. I have heard of shooting poly tone white before color coats and I personally did this to make sure the colors came out correctly.

Default Re: Poly fiber epoxy primer after Poly Spray?

If the color coats are to be poly-tone, then you should not put anything else on between the poly-spray and poly-tone. The poly-tone uses the same base as the poly-brush and poly-spray and will "melt into" the poly-spray coats. This makes for a very durable and very easy to repair finish.

Doing it as above, if you have something to repair, like a tear, all you have to do is use MEK to clean down to bare fabric and then apply a patch. If there is and epoxy layer in there the MEK won't get through it and you will have to sand it and then use MEK to get the poly-spray/poly-brush off and get to bare fabric.

Unless you are applying a final finish different from poly-tone there is no reason for an epoxy primer.

After the silver coats you are ready to put on your final color(s), which is Polytone or Aerothane. The PF manual suggests doing a white coat first to make the colors pop, especially if you are using colors like red and yellow.

The epoxy primer is used on steel or aluminum as the first coat and is usually followed with Aerothane or a type of urethane paint.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    How many spray the epoxy primer after Poly Spray and before paint?
    Hey Scott, I haven't seen the PF video, but the PF manual definitely does not say to spray epoxy primer onto polyspray. Don't do it. As other have said, all the PF system topcoats are meant to do directly on top of Poly Spray (Whether Aerothane, Ranthane, or Poly Tone). It's worth noting that you CAN spray white Poly-tone before Aerothane or Ranthane to ensure correct, vibrant color. I suspect that's what the video advised or meant to advise.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well gang, I will leave this here as a do not do for everyone in the future.

We sprayed it and should not have. Called PF and they basically said the paint applied after will crack eventually. This means tearing the fabric off of the wings and starting the covering process over.

Bummed.

ugh..... Sorry to hear that Scott.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Oh man, that's a painful setback. Everyone who has ever covered a plane feels your pain. At least you figured it out now and not on your finished airplane, and you're doing the right thing by tearing it up and fixing it. As soon as the rework is done, it will just be another build story and a lesson well-learned.

As a great man once said: "Back to Work!"
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Oh man sorry we didn't catch you sooner. One positive take away, you got two practice runs. I know I personally made some mistakes I wouldn't have if it wasn't my first time.

Good luck, it will go quick

Im not sure to understand??
    you paint the polybrush 1
    after the polyspray 2
    and final coat 3
    on fabric that’s we have to do???
    on fiberglass and metal alu you need a primer
    im right or no
    ??