Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: LED Replacement Bulbs

Default LED Replacement Bulbs

I've got a pair of 2001 vintage Whelen wingtip Nav/Position light fixtures (model A600) with a built in strobe and two incandescent bulbs, a larger forward facing bulb (model A1290-14) and a much small er rear facing bulb (model A508-14). These fixture are apparently certified models. Each light fixture has a red or a green lens over the large clear bulb. I broke one of these large bulbs and figured its time to replace the incandescent bulbs with LEDs that draw less current. ACS sells non-certified replacement LED bulbs to replace the large incandescent bulbs that are very reasonably priced compared to the replacement certified Whelen bulbs. ACS sells red, green and clear bulbs. I assume that I could use the colored bulbs or the clear ones in combination with my colored lens on each fixture. My questions are:
    1) Would there be any advantage to using colored bulbs under the same colored lens or is it better to just stick with clear bulbs?
    2) Does anyone know where to find an LED replacement for the small rear facing incandescent (model A508-14)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 09-29-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: LED Replacement Bulbs

Use the white LED lights with the colored lenses. There is a good chance the brightness reduced and maybe the color would be different

This LED light came up when I searched for the A508-14 bulb:
    led-rear-position-light-wedge-base
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil, The website you referenced has some good info on the LEDs and they have SIGNIFICANT advantages over the original incandescents, both in reduced current draw and in useful life. Probably brighter too. The build manual that came with my original Nav light kit warned about the current draw from the incandescents using up to 50% of my 912 engine's generator capacity and implied that they shouldn't be turned on if the total current load on the generator was near the limit. Breaking my bulb may have been a blessing in disguise to allow some newer technology to enhance my build. Thanks for the great info.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Use the colored LEDs for the colored lenses.
    https://youtu.be/uHr4Ajg9J6s
    Last edited by desertdave; 09-29-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

That's very interesting. Apparently it is true for aircraft as well. The FAA-TSO Whelen colored LED nav lights bulbs are to be used with the original colored lenses.

You learn something new every day.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Birdseyeview View Post
    .......The website you referenced has some good info on the LEDs and they have SIGNIFICANT advantages over the original incandescents, both in reduced current draw and in useful life. Probably brighter too. The build manual that came with my original Nav light kit warned about the current draw from the incandescents using up to 50% of my 912 engine's generator capacity and implied that they shouldn't be turned on if the total current load on my original Nav light kit...
    Birdseye - just a comment on your quote - back when I built our aircraft, the DAR would not approve any LED installations unless the builder went through the proof for light quality and quantity - at the time LEDs for this purpose were not fully developed/verified - today they are.

This predicament is why I went down the road with standard incandescent nav lights and added the Aux alternator to solve the Rotax primary alternator overload potential. Ended up with two separate charging systems - putting all the high draw stuff on the Aux system and the essential but low draw stuff on the 912 alternator Yes - they do have a crosstie & separate disconnects). I have heard of a few cases where operators have been running the primary Rotax alternator near its limit and later had failures.

Today I would have gone with the LEDs and I think your blessing in disguise works
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I also have the A600 and have replaced the red and green lights with LEDs but the rear whit bulbs are halogen and draw close to 2 amps each. I would like to replace them with lower current draw bulbs but haven't found anything yet. They have T3.25 wedge base. Has anyone found anything that can replace these?

Do a Google search for either 194 or 168 or 921 LED bulbs - they all fit in a T3.25 base - you'll find plenty.

Greg

Thanks. That helped a bunch.