Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 question

Default Rotax 912 question

I have a Kitfox 4 with the Rotax 912. It sat for over a year. I’m now able to fly again and am getting her in shape. I had a fuel leak in the sight gauges and replaced those. They hold tight now.

I tried to crank the the motor and had a hydraulic lock in the left aft cylinder. I removed a plug and had my son pull the prop through. I learned not to stand in front of the cylinder in question.

To the current problem. I showed up yesterday to crank her up. Fuel was all over the floor and still dripping out of the right carburetor line. The choke was stuck open even though the handle was closed. The left choke was closed.

Is it normal for fuel to flow freely with the choke open at the carb?

If so, how do I lubricate the choke cable inside the shroud? Could something else be keeping the choke open?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Rotax 912 question

Though I have a 912ULS I believe;
    -Fuel should most definitely not flow freely "choke" or not
    -Check the floats
    -Disconnect the cable and be sure the choke closes (should be a spring return)
    -If the cable is a fault replace it vs lube
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Rotax 912 question

It may be a good idea to weigh your floats (3 grams each ?) at the same time let the fuel run with the bowls off,then lightly lift the float arms to verify there are no issues with debris or sealing.
    Crankiing with a hydraulic lock is a worry as engine damage can occure,always hand prop before using the starter.