Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: PVC Lift Strut Fairing Primer

Default PVC Lift Strut Fairing Primer

Whats everyone using for primer on the fairings? I have some suggestions from the factory but wanna get a poll!

Thanks!
    Last edited by JoeRuscito; 09-19-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Default Re: PVC Lift Strut Fariings Primer

Joe,

The PVC fairings are just about the easiest things to get a paint finish on.

Want to do it proper? Thoroughly solvent wash (denatured alcohol is good) watersand the the fairings, shoot a coat of epoxy primer and shoot the topcoat.

Also works - Thoroughly solvent wash (denatured alcohol is good) watersand the the fairings then shoot your topcoat. They are already white so it will produce a good color coat.

PVC will take just about any top coat with or without a primer; but, if you want to do a primer, that works fine but use the epoxy.

I need to include - if you are doing the "bondo" finishing or similar on the fuselage end you have to shoot that with epoxy first.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: PVC Lift Strut Fairings Primer

Thanks Dave. I am doing the superfill finish and am about half way through sanding the fairings smooth. Im also shooting yellow as top coat which is VERY see through so I do think I need a primer/white base coat.

Default Re: PVC Lift Strut Fairing Primer

Joe - your plan is solid - super fil is the best and white primer on the whole business will make your yellow top coat look perfect.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN