Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kit choice

Default Kit choice

Hi. I'm new to the forum.
    I have built a plane and been a novice flyer for over 30 years.
    What is the consensus on which is the best kitfox.
    I do some rough strips and not in any particular hurry.
    I'm not tell dragger rated but would like to go this way for a change.
    Thoughts on the 6cyl jab engine and the Honda Viking.
    I have flown the Honda and its one of the nicest set ups I've ever flown. I'm in Australia so the Jab may be something to consider.
    At this stage im just exploring but a new build would be fun.
    I'm a GA pilot with Cessna 210 expierance but now enjoy these experimental planes.
    Any thoughts would be great.
    Lyndon

Default Re: Kit choice

Hi Lyndon,

I see there have been no replies (unusual for this forum!) so I will make a few comments that are hopefully of some use.

First, I am no longer a Kitfox owner having sold mine a little while ago. It was a Model 7 with a Rotax 912is sport and a few other 'extras'. I flew for 500hrs around Australia.

My suggestion is to go with the Model 7 Super
    Sport with standard wings, 26' Tyres, T3 tail wheel, heavy duty undercarriage and other mods you can order with the kit. As for engines .... The Viking might sound good but first of all think weight ... every kg is important in these planes. Search the internet for threads on those engines and the company before committing. As for the local Jabiru engines - again research thoroughly. And then check the level of factory support for each engine ie. FWF kits etc. I settled on the Rotax as being the best power to weight combination coupled with great proven reliability and factory support even if they are not the cheapest by any means. But coupled to an Airmaster CSP with 75' blades I could get reasonable STOL and 100kts cruise - all at about 16.5LPH.

There are three Australian guys on here building on here at the moment and I suggest you make contact as they are all LAMEs and aero engineers and know their stuff - (Ben, Dave and James - they are building at Sale, Moama and Albury). They are all close to launch....in fact 2 of them should have been flying already but they use poor excuses like work and operations!!)

Anyway, we loved our Kitfox and might even do another one day once we do a bit of other style travel - and resale is great too in Australia - I could have sold ours 10x over!

All the best

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks for that.
    So no need for the full on still wing for exteme stol.
    I'm never going to land on river bed etc but will use short strips.
    The undercarriage you refer to is that the set up that is not the std bent aluminum one ??
    Bubble doors ??? Or not.
    Thanks Lyndon

HI Lyndon,

I have landed all over in paddocks, claypans, tracks, beaches and even to odd gravel bar ...and never used more than 200m fully laden - maybe 300 in really hot conditions fully laden up NTH. When light ( 1 up and say 1/4 to 1/2 fuel) you will be off and on in 50-60m... once you learn how to fly it. You will sacrifice cruise speed for the STOL wing.

There is a heavy duty version of the sprung undercarriage which I had but yes, there is a an even more rugged version.

And definitely the bubble doors. great for vision and gives a little more elbow room.

You can see my build and some of my adventures around OZ if you search this site.

All the best with it and happy to chat further if you want. And Dave and Ben will chime in here when they see the posts. The US guys are a shy lot ........

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Sounds perfect.
    Lyndon