Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KitFox IV on Avid Amphibs: Height???

Default KitFox IV on Avid Amphibs: Height???

Hey guys, Im trying to find someone who could give me a good idea of how tall a model IV on Avid amphibs will be? My hangar is 120" to the rafters and I'm leaving this weekend to pick up a IV. It comes with a set of amphibs but is currently sitting on grove gear. A few guys have told me their IV is 99"-106" on straight floats.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by River Fox; 09-17-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Default Re: KitFox IV on Avid Amphibs: Height???

I'm guessing nobody is answering because they don't have any idea. I haven't seen any one with those floats. The height is going to depend on the several things including the float height and angle of incidence between the floats and airframe.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

On the floats, measure from the ground up to the attach points. On the plane, measure from the attach points (in level attitude) up to top of the vertical stabilizer. Add together. This should give you a close estimate. Things affecting the final number is the incidence of the floats.

Ralph

All I have to say is...Have fun on floats in SC! From what I remember when living in GA, there are very limitedplaces in the southeast that allow floatplanes. Now, get a boat, jetski, or any other floating contraption and you're golden, but a floatplane is off limits in most areas. Unless things have changed, I wish you luck.