Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 gray head rpm issue. Help needed!

Default 582 gray head rpm issue. Help needed!

Help! Is there a doctor in the house? My engine was rebuilt and I was in the process of running in the engine but it will not come up to full rpm. Here is what I've checked, warpdrive prop is set to 11 degrees, both carb needles are on the third groove from the top per Rotax, carp tops are level relative to each other, both slides are in sync and will fully open at full throttle. But it will only reach 5500rpm, and will only hold there for a minute before the egt's drop and it slows down to 5000rpm.
    I've exhausted my trouble shooting skills, and I'm begging for help. Anyone in Indiana willing to make a house call?

Default Re: 582 gray head rpm issue. Help needed!

Are you using a K&N air filter? Have you cleaned and re-oiled it per instructions? Not too much oil on it, just a light mist turning the element light pink? I'm thinking it might be having trouble breathing freely.

Sorry, I can't make house calls.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Yes it's a K&N in good shape. I've ordered a TinyTach and will double check what the Rotax tachometer is telling me. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Help! Is there a doctor in the house? My engine was rebuilt and I was in the process of running in the engine but it will not come up to full rpm. Here is what I've checked, warpdrive prop is set to 11 degrees, both carb needles are on the third groove from the top per Rotax, carp tops are level relative to each other, both slides are in sync and will fully open at full throttle. But it will only reach 5500rpm, and will only hold there for a minute before the egt's drop and it slows down to 5000rpm.
    I've exhausted my trouble shooting skills, and I'm begging for help. Anyone in Indiana willing to make a house call?
    I can't make a house call but I am willing to talk to you on the phone if you want. I have sent you an email and we can get the conversation started.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I've had similar issue, opposite direction to many rpm and found prop set at 4.5 degrees. Tried 10 and only got 5500 rpm then went down until i got 5900 and ended at 8 degrees. Blue top with low hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobramatt View Post
    I've had similar issue, opposite direction to many rpm and found prop set at 4.5 degrees. Tried 10 and only got 5500 rpm then went down until i got 5900 and ended at 8 degrees. Blue top with low hours.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That's the help I needed. A starting point. A busy weekend coming up, but maybe I can get the prop pitch set and run up next spring.
    jay