Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Woes !

Default Re: Insurance Woes !

I agree call your agent and tell them your problem. Mine said any CFI with time in your type aircraft can go with you but I had to press them on it. And get it in writing.

For most intents and purposes regarding flight experience, "type" and "make and model" are synonymous. I only point it out because if you need to file a claim, and you disagree with the underwriter about the meanings of these words, you're probably not getting paid.

I was able to find a $1500 policy that covered me from my first flight. I thought that seemed high, but now I feel lucky to have been covered at all. I too was told that the rate would probably be significantly less once I had 100 hours make/model. I'll definitely be beyond that when it's time to renew.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I wish money grew on trees, but if it did, few of us would build or maintain our own planes. I hired a CFI who said he was Kitfox qualified. He wrecked my plane and I spent months and thousands of dollars repairing it. find the money you need to have the quality and qualified instructor you need. Ask to see his logbook entry of the last Kitfox he instructed in. or ....
    Go to Stick and rudder and learn the right way to fly your ship.
    It is the best insurance you will ever buy and it will last a lifetime.
    I did it 12 years ago but I know those guys. You worked way too hard to put your plane together to make a dumb Kitfox common error and end up with repairs.
    Paul often ferry planes from around the country. Call and see if he or one of his guys is coming out anytime soon. or meet them where they are flying. I did that for a biannual recently and saved a lot of time.
    good luck, send pics

I hear you all. Honestly I don't care about the money. I really do, but I want insurance for the last year of my life.... but no one seems to think its worth that much.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for all the replies it seems I have reached a compromise with the insurance co.I can test fly my kitfox with reduced liability and no hull insurance for 10 hours after which my original policy will resume not exactly what I would like but will get me flyin.I understand they are assuming a risk but they are getting well paid for it and have us at their mercy.For those wondering my premium is a little over 1400.00 a year for 1000000 liability and 25000 hull

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    For most intents and purposes regarding flight experience, "type" and "make and model" are synonymous...
    Brian who did you use for insurance? Im getting quotes in the $3000 range! Low tailwheel time (by the time I insure Ill have about 30 hours 10 in a Kitfox with S&R). Also a low time pilot, about 180 hours. Ill mention that is with the hull mostly covered

I got quotes from several agencies that each shopped several providers. The best rate I got was through AOPA's insurance agency, underwritten by Starr. It's worth shopping around the different agencies. I shopped AOPA (Assured), EAA (Falcon), BWI, and Regal (recommended by Paul Leadebrand). I was quoted prices all over the place. I have $70k hull, $1M/$100k liability. When I got the policy, I had about 50 hrs tailwheel and 10 hrs in a Kitfox. I'm not a high-time pilot at ~1700 hrs, but I am a CFI/II/MEI, so the extra time and ratings may be a big factor.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yes, shop around. I just asked one of the big name companies for a quote. Unfortunately (for them) it was 70% more than I am paying through AOPA. I am sticking with AOPA.

Also ask about things that you can do that would give discounts.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have not been a member for awhile. So I assume join AOPA, then ask for a quote?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yup.

Also, for comparison's sake, the rate I described above is for zero deductible.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS