Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Woes !

Default Insurance Woes !

I am having trouble getting my required dual time in a kit Fox they require 0nly 1 hour dual if I waive my hull insurance of which I have acquired .5 then there was an accident which claimed the life of my instructor and things have been in limbo ever since. Is there a CFI out there with a Kit Fox who could help me get my required time? I have completed my model 111 and I am ready to test fly, very frustrating to say the least. I am open to any ideas or thoughts but afraid to fly with out at least liability insurance coverage. Thanks Greg. ps. I live in central PA

Default Re: Insurance Woes !

I made it flycation and went to stick and rudder in Idaho and did up right. Many of us will highly recommend it. There are also several of us in the northeast that went through the same thing and I don't think there is anyone with a factory SLSA and is a CFI in the Northeast. I also pressed the insurance company for the exact wording and they said I could use any CFI for the type aircraft like single engine land tailwheel.

I have worried about the insurance myself. I'm to the engine break in stage of my IV rebuild. I have over 100 hours of taildragger time, but none in a kitfox. And it has been way too many years since my last bi-annual.
    I always wondered how my dad got insurance in is Baby Great Lakes for both of us. It was single place. What's interesting is my dad just bought the same Vagabond I learned to fly in last year. It had been 34 years since I flew that airplane last and it was like getting back on a bike. Every landing was perfect. So what would the insurance company do in that case? Not only is it the same type of aircraft, it's the exact same aircraft! Dad even gave me left seat, the side with the only brakes. That's trust! And those of you doing the math, Dad is 89 and still flying.

My flying partner was just pricing insurance for the Aeronca Chief we own together. Quote from Falcon was 1250 for 22,000 hull ins. Another friend said his Luscombe is about $750 for $17,500 hull value. He has Butler Brown Ins. We tried them, and got a quote of $770. I had never heard of them till a couple of weeks ago, glad I found out about them. JImChuk

Who is the underwriter do you know?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I don't know, I wasn't involved in getting the quote. JImChuk

Flyin Farmer,

Usually the insurance Company wants you to have "time in type", not necessarily the EXACT make/model aircraft you will be flying. The FAA has a training page that lists flight schools that provide tail wheel endorsement training at https://www.faaflightschools.com/tail-wheel/

There are two in PA, ATS Aero Services in Lititz, PA http://www.aerotechservices.com/flight-lessons/ and Borzoya Aero in Slatington, PA http://www.borzoyaaero.com/.

This is not true. A policy can state whatever the insurance company wants it to say. This is directly from my policy for my Kitfox:

Prior to acting as pilot in command of the aircraft during the policy period, any of the foregoing who
    have not logged 5 hours in this make and model aircraft must have satisfactorily completed a checkout
    from a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) in this make and model aircraft.

Looks like I am self insuring for the first 40 hours Then I will try again for quotes.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

My insurance required 1 hour of time in type, not necessarily a KF, before first flight. Interestingly, they wanted more than twice the annual premium ($5000 to be exact) to cover the plane during the first 10hrs. After ten hours, my plane became covered under the policy. I didn't purchase the coverage for the first 10 hours. I suspect I will have over 200hrs of tailwheel time, all in Kitfoxes, when I renew next March. I'm really curious how much my premium changes, if any, as they claimed it would when I had more hours.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X