Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Storage Rack suggestions

Default Wing Storage Rack suggestions

Because I am working in a shop the size of a one car garage, I need to develop a wing storage solution for when I have the wings done. I plan to house the wings in my 2-car garage on one side. My intent is to put the rack on castors to be able to move around as needed. I am looking for examples or plans for a rack. In reading other threads, I have seen concerns expressed about storing leading edge down for fear that the leading edge extrusion might be damaged/warped by the weight of the wing; that it is better to store with the weight on the rear spar. I'm not sure how that would be possible so, there's that.

In the past, with a different airplane, I suspended the wings to the wall of my shop (not this shop but a previous one) by using nylon web straps similar to what a seat belt is made from. I attached the first web to the wall above the trailing edge of the wing that hung down about two thirds of the wing span. I attached a second strap below the first but above the leading edge. I put two D rings on the first strap and then cinched two straps creating a sling to hold the wing against the wall leading edge down, bottom against the wall. Obviously, the pitot tube was removable.

My plan was to do something similar only using a wooden frame. But, before I start experimenting with my idea, I wanted to learn what others' ideas are and get opinions of others regarding orientation of the wing for storage, leading edge up or down and, if you believe leading edge up, how did you accomplish having the trailing edge down?

Default Re: Wing Storage Rack suggestions

Maverick,

Also space limited over here.

I came up with a two part system.

1) An internal spar clamp to a 2X4 - see photo with the poly brush wing (Pink) What you can't see is a long carriage bolt which goes through a 3/4" wood washer, a semi solid but compressible ball that fits the inside of the spar and another wood washer - the internal clamp is tightened by running the nut down on the open side of the 2X4 expanding the ball to grip the spar from the inside. End result is a solid holding fixture that won't slip out and protects the inside and outside of the wing. One of these internal 2X4 clamps on each end - the inboard end of the wing required notching the wood washers so the ball and washers would pass the wing mounting tabs and rivet ends. A person can carry each end and they won't slip out - 2x4 long enough so the wing can stand on the on the 2x4. A 1/2" spacer bigger than the spar was needed between the 2X4 and the spar end to account for the 1/2" offset between the front and rear spar to keep the whole business straight.

2) Also fabricated an upside down "T" with wheels so one person could roll the wing around. See the second photo in the gray polyspray. The carriage bolt is long enough to go through either the "T" or another 2x4 if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I wanted wing rotisseries for convenience during covering and they need to have casters to move around the garage. Probably saw the idea on someone else's thread. The wings are supported by roughly 2' PVC pieces that slide into the spars and are secured to the 2x6 arm with a couple of decking screws. A carriage bolt, with washer and double nuts, lets the 2x6 rotate. Tighten the nuts and friction will secure the wings in a position. A long 2x4 connects the two end fixtures so they don't move apart when rolling. Each end fixture has two caster wheels and there is a fifth caster in the middle of the long 2x4. All casters rotate 360 degrees and four are locking. Harbor Freight has inexpensive wheels. These fixtures were ready when the pre-assembled wings were delivered and have worked well through the build.

Removing a wing is straightforward. Level the wing for convenience and tighten the nuts to prevent rotation. Remove the screws securing the PVC to the wooden arms and slide the tubes out of the spar. Really, really tighten the nuts first. When you pull one PVC tube, the fixture will try to rotate with the weight of the wing on the second tube. Scary lesson!

Sorry I don't have better pictures. It's dark outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Though I will probably be re-doing them, you can see the rigs I got with my kit in my thread

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...-Outback-Build

Main thing I don't like is there is no quick way to lock rotation, and they are kinda flimsy. Cant trust them once I get to the stage of adding the tanks. I would build with 2x4's at a minimum.

I built some stands for wing rigging this past weekend, and will be converting those into one wing rig, while my other two will be taken apart and used to make something more solid for the other wing - probably for storage only.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Great ideas. Thanks for the pictures.
    Kindly,
    Maverick