Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mod IV with 582, setting prop pitch question

Default Re: Mod IV with 582, setting prop pitch question

Funny thing, the wood prop has a 100hr or 5yr TBO
    If I am right, the GSC Prop overhaul time is 5 yr / 500​ hours.

You are right, but still mine was way past the 5 year mark. Needed a new prop anyway. Almost went with the single bolt pitch adjustable one, don't remember the brand.

So I got about an hour of flying in and near as I could tell with the jumpy tachometer i was at 6800-ish during shallow a climb after liftoff. Once in level flight I'd guarantee that if I firewalled it in level flight it would have exceeded 6800, but I didn't let it do that. As far as static RPM, the brakes wouldn't hold for a full throttle run up. It would start rolling about 5500 rpm. During the flight I was too busy keeping controlling the airplane and forgot to look at the tach during the first part of the takeoff. Shortly after starting the roll it looked like it was around 6200, but like I said the tach reading was fluctuating badly. I definitely need to get a new tach.

Pulling my hair out looking for prop protractor today. Never found it, so it's a good excuse to go buy a digital level and really dial the prop in.

Now I'm really stumped. My fancy digital angle finder is showing 11 degrees pitch. I would think it should wind up like a turbine with that little pitch. Think it could be a mixture issue?

I wonder if you are reading the level correct..... Also, are you sure your tach is correct? A lot of the round ones are way off. Get a tiny tach and then you can believe the readings.

I got a TinyTach on order.

So I went flying today and here is what I got. This is with a new tach, a tiny tach installed as well and both of these checked using an optical tach and all matched very well.

Static was 6000 rpm, which was the same as during the takeoff roll.

Climb at 65 mph (Kitfox IV) was about 6200 rpm

full throttle in level flight was about 6600 rpm

My prop is a Warp drive but I haven't measured the diameter or the blade pitch yet. It is whatever the old owner had it set for. It is on my list to check this and record it, as it should have been in the logs, but I haven't got to it yet.