Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 on a Model 2??

Default 912 on a Model 2??

Hi folks

My buddies and I have a kitfox 2 with a greyhead 582. It Performs great but we like to tinker. Any body out there installed a 912 variant on a model 2. We've talked about trying to find a used 912 ul and replace the carbs with a fuel injection kit from edge performance. As light and efficient as possible. Any thoughts??? Would love to hear any input.

Thanks

Default Re: 912 on a Model 2??

I'm in the process of installing a 912UL to my KF2, however, I am doing fairly extensive modifications to the airframe to basically bring it up to a model 4. Without strengthening the frame, your useful weight just went down at least 50 pounds. If you have the fuel tank in front of your panel like I did, you will probably need to remove it and add wing tanks to get the CG correct. I sure hope all this work is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by CoClimber View Post
    I'm in the process of installing a 912UL to my KF2, however, I am doing fairly extensive modifications to the airframe to basically bring it up to a model 4. Without strengthening the frame, your useful weight just went down at least 50 pounds. If you have the fuel tank in front of your panel like I did, you will probably need to remove it and add wing tanks to get the CG correct. I sure hope all this work is worth it!
    CoClimber: looking to do the same with a KF2, can you update on your project and maybe some photos? GLH

I have a bunch of photos for the build log but nothing that is all encompassing. I had hoped to have this in the air this year but decided to slow down some and focus on getting it flying in the spring. The engine is mounted and I did one quick test run. Smooth and quiet. I need to finish my panel before any additional engine testing so that I have all the engine gauges operational.

Made the upgrade from 582 to 912 ULS on my KF2 this year.
    Empty Cg moved forward from 14,1 to 11,31 (with 2.2 lbs ballast in the tail)
    Weight increase 44 lbs (including the 2.2 in the tail)
    It has become another airplane. Even more lovely than it already was.
    Speeds remain the same as that is what the wing was designed for, but the 912 rewards you with climb performance, huge power reserve, much lower fuel burn (resulting in increased range), less noise, no more mixing and, last but not least, no more smell .
    As i fly 90% of the time solo, the 44 lbs of useful weight lost is not a problem for me

That is encouraging. I expect my plane to be finished in the spring and I am so looking forward to flying it. I do have a model 4 wing and flaperon mixer along with a larger vertical/rudder so it should be a different plane throughout. Having never flown any Kitfoxes, I will have nothing to base my experiences on. Anyone in upstate NY want to give me a ride???