Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT false activation

Default Re: ELT false activation

Thanks for this info Phil. I agree with all your points.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have the Artex 345. No problems. It is mounted on the floor under the baggage area behind the copilot seat. It is on the antenna mount on the right side while the Xpdr/ADSB antenna are mounted on the opposite antenna mount, behind the pilot. That isn't even 3 feet away from one another and it works fine. I have not had any false activation to my knowledge. I used shielded wire and ran it right along with all the other wiring from the back. That includes the trim motor wiring, both auto pilot servos as well as the safety trim wiring. I only ran antenna coaxial down the right side of the cockpit opposite the electrical.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The initial reviews on the Artex 350 I read were the ones on ACS. Did some more looking around and most reviews are positive. Since it only uses one battery compared to three for the ACK think I'll go with Artex.

Rick

I didn't do any of the things installing my ACK that some have said are helpful. I used the flat "telephone" cable - actually made a new longer one. I ran the wires right along with everything else that I have going down that side of the fuselage. The antenna is inside the fuselage, in relatively close proximity to the transponder antenna. The small mounting plate for it is grounded to the fuselage tubing. The ELT is mounted on a plate I installed behind the right seat, above the antenna. Knock on wood... I haven't had any false triggering in 2 years, and the unit tests out fine. That being said, I think the Artex 345 looks good, and I would probably choose it over the ACK unit if I replace it. The only thing that doesn't appeal to me about the Artex is that there is no "off" switch. In order to deactivate it you have to remove the battery. I don't particularly like that.

IMG_0670.jpg
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm back to having false activation on my ACK E-04! Worse than ever and nothing has changed. It worked great for over 350 flight hours with only one false trip over a weird runway bump. ACK is being less than helpful I must say but I have been going back and forth through email (very short responses) and working on the problem.

It first cropped up when I was flying low over a lake (no one around) and when I got within 3-4 ft of the surface it went off. Popped up and reset, descended to test again, same thing.

Then it went away for a few days, then I turned on the avionics one day and its going off. Reset, shut down, Start back up, again... Rinse and repeat. Came back the next day, no issues, I chocked it up to some GPS notam that was happening in the area that day and went flying.

Now, if I'm out doing touch and go's, just prior to touch down, 1-2 ft off the ground it will go off, I reset and keep rolling and it will do it a hand full of times right before touchdown. Some days every landing, some days, not once.

I'm about to pull it and replace it with something else and/or send back to ACK. Hopefully someone here can help me diagnose!

Thanks.

Oh boy, that's crazy. You said it is happening just above the surface so I won't ask you how hard your landings are .

I have couple of ideas.
    First, fly with your transponder turned off (if you can)and do some low passes & landings to duplicate the scenario.
    Next, maybe you could disconnect the remote switch’sphone cable at the ELT and do some landings. You will need to monitor on 121.5 forELT activation. Resetting the ELT would be a pain because you will need to getto the ELT switch. This would probably trigger a 406 transmission. I think youhave about 50 seconds to cancel it before it sends the 406 data. Maybe youcould advise your local ATC and the people that respond to the 406 calls (AirForce??) and let them know you will be doing some testing that might activateyour 406 ELT.
    Also, I would inspect the remote cable’s connections,security, for chaffing, etc.
    Honestly if you and ACK can’t solve this I would belooking to replace it with another brand.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Curious to know if you ever got this worked out? I am at the point that I need to buy an ELT for my project and don't want to buy a problem.

I did not. Fortunately it went away for the time being. Its very difficult for me to diagnose these intermittent issues and ACK is zero help what so ever. I highly suggest going with another brand even at a premium. I will seriously consider paying for another ELT and replacing it if it crops up again.

I second Joes recommendation. These ELTS feel like fisher price to me.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the info. I'll look at other brands.